Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Salt, low salt, no salt?

We want you to be a healthy vegan! :)

Re: Salt, low salt, no salt?

Postby dropscone » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone :) I'm due another checkup in three weeks time, so will be interested to see if there are any changes then.

VegeTexan that ice cream sounds like it's going to haunt me. I don't think I'd like it, but it's one of those things I'm going to really want to try just to confirm I don't like it! :D
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Postby gladcow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:53 pm

while I am not closely watching my salt intake, I do make strides to keep out unwanted sodium. Whenever possible, I buy low sodium versions of canned foods. and we don't eat a lot of packaged or fast foods, so we don't have to worry much about those sources.

that being said, my FIL has limited his sodium for years and years because of high blood pressure and diabetes and just general trying to have good eating habits reasons :) He saw a new dr recently and the dr said he was deathly LOW in sodium. :o I didn't think that was possible, and neither did he. But it was true. So, get blood tests and stuff :)

I personally think the sodium/potassium balance is more important than total sodium consumed. I think the ideal ratio is 1:2 sodium:potassium.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby gladcow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm

[quote="debiguity";p=795][quote="dropscone";p=698]Does anyone worry about/limit salt intake, if so why, and how do you get your food to taste delicious without it (or with less)?

I've heard that celery can mimic the taste of salt, so that might be an idea. Also, your taste buds will adjust over time, and you'll need less and less salt to satisfy your taste buds. And, it looks like it helps lower blood pressure at the same time!

Color Me Vegan is one cookbook that uses less than average salt in the recipes.

celery is actually a pretty good source of sodium. it has a ratio of 1:3 sodium:potassium
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Ariann » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:01 am

[quote="gladcow";p=943]
that being said, my FIL has limited his sodium for years and years because of high blood pressure and diabetes and just general trying to have good eating habits reasons :) He saw a new dr recently and the dr said he was deathly LOW in sodium. :o I didn't think that was possible, and neither did he. But it was true. So, get blood tests and stuff :)

Low sodium is fairly common in people with high blood pressure because they're usually on diuretics and limiting sodium intake at the same time. That's why it's really important to increase diuretics really slowly and monitor people on them carefully. Low sodium can cause muscle and neurological problems and even death, so it's a pretty serious situation. My grandmother (the one who had HBP forever and was on diuretics all that time) had a serious low sodium situation a few years before she died because her doctor increased her diuretics (she wasn't told why). Over the course of a few days she became increasingly confused. Luckily a neighbor came over to borrow something and noticed she wasn't making sense and she got treated before she really got hurt.
Ariann

Postby Emiloid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 pm

OK, this is a little old, but I have to chime in! Like shenanigans suggested, adding lemon juice can definitely bump up the flavor of foods in a way that is similar to what salt does. Other acids work, too, so depending on the dish, you might go with a vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice, or even orange juice. Wine or sherry can be good, but make sure you use one made for drinking--"cooking" wines have a ton of salt added so they can be legally sold to minors (in the US, anyway).

Also, in the US there are sodium-free "salt substitutes", which are a different kind of salt. I think they usually include potassium instead of sodium. I've had that and thought it was pretty good, but maybe something you'd have to get used to. (I thought it was a tad metallic, in the same way that artificial sweeteners can be.) Maybe you can find some in your area?

Other than that, you could try to up your potassium and water intake to help reduce the effects of sodium. Exercise can help lower blood pressure, too, since it keeps your vascular system in good health. Lastly, I'd suggest adding salt at the table instead of during cooking.

Hope you're doing OK!

eta: I do think about my salt intake, and try not to oversalt foods. (I basically have a "salt-tooth".) We don't eat many processed foods, so that helps a lot. At the table, I use sea salt, which I think has a more interesting mix of salts than table salt does... plus it tastes really good, so a little goes a long way. Luckily, I don't have any health issues related to salt intake. However, my parents (in their 60s) both have high blood pressure, so it's something I want to keep tabs on.
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby dropscone » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Turns out I don't have health issues related to salt either (I don't think!) and that one high blood pressure result actually was an anomaly! They've all been fine since. It was a student midwife who was trying to get the result and she couldn't get the first cuff to work so she had to use a different machine and for some reason it got a high result that had me labelled as having hypertension in big letters on the front of my maternity notes :rolleyes: but all the tests have been fine since then :)
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Previous

Return to Nutrition