Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Matzah Brei

Share, discuss, experiment. Recipes are for mixing!

Matzah Brei

Postby Ariann » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 am

This Passover I worked on my matzah brei recipe. I think it turned out pretty well, but I want to record the process for anyone who wants to try it out and make improvements. I was somewhat influenced by this recipe: http://jennshaggy.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... iksas.html but you know, that recipe was super stupid complicated. I skimmed the recipe in Vegan Brunch, but it failed on two counts: 1) it didn't seem like enough to mimic egg taste and 2) it was savory, and I've only ever had sweet matzah brei in my life - I couldn't figure out how to adapt it without omitting most of the ingredients and then I'd be even further from egg mimicking.

So here's what I did:

Ground up about 1/2 cup of cashews in a food processor. Then I added 1/4 tsp each turmeric, cinnamon, and black salt, a bit of pepper, a container of soft tofu, maybe 1/4 cup maple syrup, and several splashes of almond milk and pureed till smooth. Meanwhile, I boiled some water and broke up about 5 matzahs in a bowl. I poured the boiling water over the matzah and let sit for a couple minutes, then drained. I heated up a very large knob of margarine and poured in the tofu puree, then added the drained matzahs. I cooked it till it seemed pretty firm and crumbly, adding some sugar as I went to get more carmelizing. I served it with a bunch of maple syrup.

Things that weren't perfect: the texture still wasn't scrambled egg style crumbly/fluffy, I don't know if I should have cooked longer or if I should have added some kind of thickener/stabilizer into the tofu puree and more liquid - that's some complicated food science I don't get; there wasn't enough fattiness (maybe I should add more nuts or oil to the puree); there wasn't enough sweetness (tofu really seems to absorb sweetness). I think next time I might add maple extract instead of maple syrup (don't know if maple syrup is kosher for passover, will have to check) and then some granulated sweetener.

More ideas welcome for improvement, but I think it's worth making as is or with some of the above modifications (more fat, more sugar, more nuts).
Ariann

Return to Recipes