Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

GF Recipes and Ingredients

Vegan and GF? Pull up a chair!

GF Recipes and Ingredients

Postby TressaLou » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:36 am

I've got a recipe for GF bread that calls for powdered milk. I tried leaving it out (naturally) and subbing rice milk for some of the water, but it ended up runny even though the recipe says it should form a soft dough. The only vegan substitute I've found is Vance's Darifree non-dairy milk powder, but it's both expensive and pricey to ship, and nowhere around here carries it. Any other tips on what to do? Or, does anyone have a delicious vegan gluten-free bread recipe for a bread machine?
TressaLou

Re: GF Recipes and Ingredients

Postby vegankitty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:14 pm

A lot of NFS carry soymilk powder in bulk. I've never heard of that brand myself but maybe you could call around see if any stores carry a different brand.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby TressaLou » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:50 am

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm allergic to soy... That's why I'm having such a hard time with this.
TressaLou

Postby stegan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:23 pm

FDA Proposes New Gluten-Free Food Labeling Standards

(posting from the USA.gov blog cause the girl is the one who runs it :)- she came home and said "oh, you should share this with your VErfers!")
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby gladcow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:04 pm

here at work we've been keeping an eye on these standards. honestly, though, the FDA and the USDA are slow as molasses. I'm waiting to see if it ever comes out. That being said, the comment period is right now, so if you have something to say about this, say it :)
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Return to Gluten-Free