Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

100% aloe gel or lotion?

How do we, as vegans, create sustainable lifestyles and practices? How does being vegan shape your choices as a consumer?

Re: 100% aloe gel or lotion?

Postby Miso Vegan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:02 am

Quite possibly!
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 am

I forgot to mention, my RO cleared using the Aloe Life Skin Gel. I've been using it twice a day.
Dugan

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:41 pm

Great! I hope it brings some relief.
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:43 am

I came through rads with skin intact. It's only in the week since that the skin in the treatment field has been dry and flaky. I've met some women who had much less rads treatment than I who developed far worse skin problems. I'm about halfway through the 4oz and plan to get an 8 oz to keep using as the skin heals and the scar remodels.

One more question - MisoVegan - I could swear I remember that you spoke of a cream or ointment meant to remodel scars? I searched here and the old forum and couldn't find it. Am I remembering correctly?
Dugan

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:35 pm

I don't recall mentioning a specific remedy but there are many on the market, and the active ingredient you want to look for is onion extract (Allium cepa) or its active ingredient (Quercetin). This was the conclusion of one of the better studies of onion gel for scars:
The use of 12% onion extract gel on cesarean section scars three times daily during early postoperative period reduced height and scar symptoms without side effects. There was tendency towards improvement of scar pliability. Scar redness and overall cosmetic results did not improve. It can be used as adjunctive treatment to prevent hypertrophic scar from surgical wounds.
Miso Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:40 pm

But also, the Skin Gel will probably be at least as effective, if not more so, than any other scar remedy. Use a very thin layer 2-3 times/day.
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:50 am

Yup, still doing that. The redness of the cone down field has faded significantly and the peeling seems to be limited to a very superficial layer.

It's been great tonight on a minor burn too.
Dugan

Previous

Return to Sustainability & Conscious Consumption