Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Making Less Waste

How do we, as vegans, create sustainable lifestyles and practices? How does being vegan shape your choices as a consumer?

Making Less Waste

Postby Shiva » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:55 am

This is a perennial topic at our house: Bringing less stuff into the house that is destined for the trash - mostly packaging. Plastic packaging. Bah! :brood:

Here are some websites that I like on the subject of making less waste:

My Plastic-Free Life (the blog formerly known as Fake Plastic Fish)
Think we can't live without plastic? Think again. In 2007 I committed to stop buying any new plastic & I've almost succeeded! Won't you join me? Let's see what plastic-free looks like in 2011... for the health of our bodies, our oceans, our planet.

The Zero-Waste Home (The Tips Page is terrific.)
Refuse, Refuse, Refuse. Then reduce, reuse, recycle (and only in that order).

Real Simple's New Uses for Old Things
Learn how to repurpose hundreds of everyday items—from accordion files to zippered plastic bags—in surprising ways that can save you time and money.

reuseit.com'sDIY Resource Guide
As part of our position as leaders in the reusables movement, we’ve always encouraged do-it-yourself (DIY) and upcycling projects to fight mindless over-consumption of use-and-toss items. While we offer practical, innovative and high-quality reusables in our store, we also empower our customers to save money and cut back on waste by reusing and upcycling the items they already own.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Making Less Waste

Postby vegematic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Those are fantastic resources Shiva!
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby matryoshka » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:29 pm

yay links!

i avoided going to trader joes for produce for the longest time because they wrapped it all in plastic. i went there the other day though, and now it says that all of their packaging is compostable. it's still kind of unnecessary waste imho but at least it's much less wasteful than before.

i also recently ordered tea from republic of tea. most of their teas (maybe all? i don't remember) come in reusable tins, without individually wrapped tea bags, which is pretty neat. when the package came i was surprised to see that instead of packing peanuts they used the left-over material from making the tea bags. pretty cool!
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby vegematic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:33 pm

[quote="matryoshka";p=1405]

i avoided going to trader joes for produce for the longest time because they wrapped it all in plastic. i went there the other day though, and now it says that all of their packaging is compostable. it's still kind of unnecessary waste imho but at least it's much less wasteful than before.

I'll have to check if my "local" TJs is using compostable packaging as well. I, too, was avoiding their (much cheaper than Whole Foods) produce because of the packaging. But yeah, why wrap it up at all?
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby JasperKat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am

[quote="vegematic";p=1406]I'll have to check if my "local" TJs is using compostable packaging as well. I, too, was avoiding their (much cheaper than Whole Foods) produce because of the packaging. But yeah, why wrap it up at all?

Ooo, I hate that! Aside from the additional garbage it produces, you never know how good the produce is because you can't handle it before buying. AND you're stuck buying, like, 3 onions when you only need 1. The grocery store closest to my house does this. Everything is wrapped in styrofoam or plastic, from cucumbers to bell peppers. Annoying.

-JK
JasperKat

Postby gladcow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 pm

[quote="matryoshka";p=1405]

i also recently ordered tea from republic of tea. most of their teas (maybe all? i don't remember) come in reusable tins, without individually wrapped tea bags, which is pretty neat. when the package came i was surprised to see that instead of packing peanuts they used the left-over material from making the tea bags. pretty cool!

they've been doing that for YEARS and I just now realize how forward thinking it is/was. We served their stuff when I worked at Borders (NINE years ago. NINE) and it was exactly the same, down to the tea bag packing materials. :heart:
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby panthera » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 am

But some packaging is so durn FUN!!!
:-( :joker: :uneasy:
Clever and Creative Tea Packaging
panthera

Postby matryoshka » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:56 pm

[quote="panthera";p=1716]But some packaging is so durn FUN!!!
:-( :joker: :uneasy:
Clever and Creative Tea Packaging

lovelovelove the oragami tea bags, how cute!
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby panthera » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:21 am

and the TeaStick/Stirrer does obviate the need for a stirring utensil, w/o introducing extra elements.
panthera

Postby flower » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 am

That tips page on the Zero Waste Home site is terrific! I'm going to have to include that in my Earth Day blog post. Thanks for the great links, Shiva!
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Next

Return to Sustainability & Conscious Consumption