Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Sweatshop Labor

How do we, as vegans, create sustainable lifestyles and practices? How does being vegan shape your choices as a consumer?

Sweatshop Labor

Postby Shiva » Wed May 11, 2011 6:12 am

Sweatshops are still supplying high street brands
Marks and Spencer's, Next, Ralph Lauren, DKNY, GAP, Converse, Banana Republic, Land's End, Levi's. And so the list of brands go on and on. What do they all have in common? According to a deeply depressing report (pdf) by the International Textile Garment and Leather Workers' Federation (ITGLWF), the factories in Asia contracted to make their products are still responsible for shocking working practices.

More than a decade after sweatshop labour for high street brands became a mainstream issue, and after plenty of companies have instituted monitoring of their supply chains, the problem still seems endemic right across the global clothing and footwear sector.

Many of the factories supplying the brands likely to dominate the Olympics in 2012, such as Adidas, Nike, Slazenger, Speedo and Puma, "are routinely breaking every rule in the book when it comes to labour rights", according to the ITGLWF.

Hit the link for the full article.

Link to the pdf download of the ITGLWF report.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Sweatshop Labor

Postby Shiva » Wed May 11, 2011 6:13 am

~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby panthera » Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 am

Kinda like having a Humane Slaughter Act. :brood:

I (like a lot of folks here, I think) circumvent the problem by not buying new clothes, except organic socks/undies from smaller businesses. Sneakers are the big problem for me.
panthera

Postby dropscone » Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Oh dear, I thought Marks and Spencer had cleaned up their act. They had a range of fair trade t-shirts a couple of years ago and I bought quite a few, especially as they had a special offer, then t-shirts continued to be on the same special offer but without the fair trade logo. Staff assured me they were still fair trade, even without the logo but I wasn't convinced (and also had enough t-shirts by then) but I still thought they had a pledge on decent working conditions :(
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Return to Sustainability & Conscious Consumption