Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

True Stories of the Young and Environmentally Sustainable

How do we, as vegans, create sustainable lifestyles and practices? How does being vegan shape your choices as a consumer?

True Stories of the Young and Environmentally Sustainable

Postby Emiloid » Sun May 20, 2012 4:23 am

OK, so the other day I lost a flip-flop to mad flip-flop disease. It just broke... the toe thingy was suddenly loose, and wasn't holding my foot in anymore. This is a flip-flop I had counted on for years to cover my feet inside (mostly inside, anyway)... I had grown to depend on this flip-flop.

When it first broke, I couldn't believe it. Broken? This flip-flop which is my new flip-flop??? One of the ones I started using because they were a gift, and they replaced my old flip-flops which I'd had since high school? (Class of '92.) I couldn't believe it! It's new! I mean, it's only like... oh, wait... it's about five or six years old. Maybe that's not new.

So I thought, how can I fix this darn flip-flop?? It didn't seem like something I could do, so I thought, "Can I recycle these?" Again, probably not. Hmmm... what can I do with this old, broken flip-flop? What can I use this foam for? What needs to be padded...? I couldn't think of anything.

I made up my mind. I went to the shoe rack and removed my old flip-flops... the ones I've had since high school, and I stuck the broken ones in their place. You never know, I might (someday) come up with a use for them. In the meantime, I'm wearing my old faithfuls. They're a bit thin and faded, but hey... they're comfy and they do the job.

Plus, if I get desperate, I can always wear the other (single) newer flip-flop... right??? I mean left????
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Re: True Stories of the Young and Environmentally Sustainabl

Postby panthera » Tue May 22, 2012 2:43 am

Reminds me of the Free Store where I volunteer for a homeless folks outreach program. There are tables & tables of unpaired shoes -- we've already paired as many as possible, but for some reason the director won't put them away, so now the tables keep getting more crowded as more unpaired shoes are placed on them. A couple of tables are dedicated to flipflops.

One thing that really makes me sad is throwing away all those leather shoes. Can't think of a way to re-use them.

btw, five or six years could easily qualify as "new" in my brain! :nice:
panthera

Postby Emiloid » Fri May 25, 2012 4:51 am

Yeah, I have this crazy impression that "new" is less than five or so years old. I know that's not normal, but it's hard to shake. :p
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Emiloid » Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm

I just realized I didn't make it at all clear that I started this thread hoping to share about times or examples of when we've done things that are environmentally sustainable... but which might seem a bit nuttty or extreme to others. If you have any stories like that, fire away!

Here's one from my own life...

I saw a commercial a while back that showed a woman drying plastic bags on a clothesline as a crazy way to "save money" and instead of laughing at it, I thought, "what a great idea!" So now if I have more than one or two bags to dry, I put them on the line. It works! And if it amuses the neighbors, so be it.
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Ariann » Tue May 29, 2012 2:02 am

That's a good idea! I used to dry ziplock bags inside out on top of turned over cups. Then I just gave up on ziplock bags entirely because that was totally annoying.
Ariann

Postby panthera » Tue May 29, 2012 3:22 am

In my old house, we hung up this "sock octopus," which had a bunch of arms ending in laundry clips. We'd just clip a rinsed bag, inside-out, to one of the arms. Or take one that had dried. It was cute, spinning around in the corner of the kitchen.
panthera

Postby Emiloid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:42 am

I'm sorry to report that my backup pair of flip-flops broke. I've had them since high school... at least since 1990 or so. I can't believe they broke. Is nothing made to last anymore?!?

Luckily I have another pair. They're plastic, not very comfy, but they do the job.

Also, I swear this thread is not supposed to be about my flip-flops. It's supposed to be about those moments when you wonder if you've gone off the deep end trying to be environmentally conscious. Like when you see a plastic bag floating down the street and think, "Hey, free bag!" (That has never happened, except a couple of times.)
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby panthera » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:20 am

Emiloid wrote:Also, I swear this thread is not supposed to be about my flip-flops. It's supposed to be about those moments when you wonder if you've gone off the deep end trying to be environmentally conscious. Like when you see a plastic bag floating down the street and think, "Hey, free bag!" (That has never happened, except a couple of times.)

:laugh:

Back when we had a place to compost, whenever panthimo & I were out walking, I'd excitedly point out all the piles of carbon-heavy items we passed. I wanted to return later w/bags and/or car to collect them. I hear that trolling around the neighborhood looking for those bags of "yard waste" to pinch for your compost pile is not that unusual, though.

Whenever it starts raining heavily, I immediately start to wonder, "what needs washing that would be easier to accomplish with loads of "free" water?" Litterbox always makes the list. Afterwards, I go around collecting the water from the various lids & plant saucers. They'll be drenched for awhile & won't profit from sitting in water, but eventually they'll dry up and then I'll already have water to return to them! I consider them to be mitigators of pavement run-off.

Why does the thread specify "young"? I'm not young.
panthera

Postby panthera » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:23 am

I guess the above examples don't really qualify, b/c they seem reasonable to me. It's more when I spy a very small pile of "brown" compost material and get excited that qualifies, I guess.
panthera

Postby Emiloid » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm not really young either. I just thought it sounded funny, like that soap opera "The Young and the Restless". Maybe someone could change the title to something like, "Nutty... or environmentally conscious?"
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Next

Return to Sustainability & Conscious Consumption