Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Clothing

How do we, as vegans, create sustainable lifestyles and practices? How does being vegan shape your choices as a consumer?

Clothing

Postby vegankitty » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:56 pm

A thread in which clothing can be discussed in a purely aesthetic way.

Mostly so I can post this dress which I SO WANT.

https://www.toofastonline.com/p-18067-k ... dress.aspx
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Re: Clothing

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:49 am

great dress! Should we discuss bras here, or in their own thread?
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:12 am

Please! Discuss bras! I've been living in sports bras 24x7 since surgery because stabilization is more comfortable and better for healing. As wonderful as sports bras are for running, I am heartily tired of them.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:55 pm

All clothing talk can go here.
vegankitty

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:25 pm

OK. I finally (finally!) wrapped my head around the bra-band-to-cup ratio thing, and I also learned that part of the reason so many women wear the wrong size is that stores don't want to carry more sizes so you end up getting fitted into a size you're not.
I got fitted properly about 2 years ago, and I should have already replaced them already* but since bra shopping is teh suxors I have put it off.

I've learned:
bands need a "break in" period of a couple of days. The band should be *very* snug, so a band extender can help.
bras are supposed to feel snug (ugh) and if I feel like I'm bound and constrained, it fits. :( Leaving red marks is expected. But not allowed: breast tissue outside the cups, tugging/pulling/having to adjust all day, gaps.
If you go up a band size, go down a cup size (and vice versa).
different breast shapes do better/worse different bra types and brands. No wonder Wacoal always looked so weird on me.
local stores won't have much in my size, better to shop online. Plan to buy a bunch, return most/all.

Since it's time for new bras, I've gone back down the rabbit hole. My favorite site now is Venusian Glow, there's a TON of information about bras, fitting, shopping, etc. I spent HOURS in the matrix: Venusian Glow Bra Matrix
From there I found bratabase.com, where you can see how bras fit different women - haven't gotten further than registration at that site.

Yesterday I heard this press release: Jockey reinvents the bra and I'm skeptical but intrigued. I might look into it.

I also really like this site, which comes highly recommended: Ewa Michalak in English (which isn't loading for me right now, hopefully just a temp glitch) - especially because of their awesome models, who show the same bras on different bodies/sizes. I haven't ordered any yet because I'm a plain-jane kinda bra wearer and these are quite cute/not plain.

* I also found this bra band tightener which I think I'll order, even though Venusian Glow has some DIY band-tightening suggestions [I'm lazy], just to buy myself some time. The bras I am wearing are 60-fucking-dollars each and I want to get all the life out of them that I can.
Miso Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Dugan, I'm finding that there are a lot of very structured bras that could give you stabilization without being a sports bra.
Miso Vegan

Postby vegankitty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:45 pm

I recommend going to a store that does proper fittings too. I'm lucky - NYC has wholesale stores that sell to individuals so I get my bras there for a lot less than most places.
vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 pm

I currently own one bra, fitted at Nordstrom's. Going to check out the matrix!
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Have a lifeline, because once you're in the matrix you may not be able to get out. :alien:
Miso Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:21 am

Grrr. So I went to bratabase.com and entered my measurements, which I took just moments before (i.e., not just entered from memory) and it tells me I'm a 30G or 30FF. Um, no. But I'm really not sure I'm measuring right, so I'll just go with 32DD or E and see how that fits.
Miso Vegan

Next

Return to Sustainability & Conscious Consumption