Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

100% aloe gel or lotion?

How do we, as vegans, create sustainable lifestyles and practices? How does being vegan shape your choices as a consumer?

100% aloe gel or lotion?

Postby Dugan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am

Is one of the things I'm allowed to put on my rads-treated breast. I've googled, and every time I see one that says its 100%, it really isn't. Is there such a thing? Or am I seeking a mythical unicorn?
Dugan

Re: 100% aloe gel or lotion?

Postby Shiva » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Hmm. This recipe for homemade calls for vitamin E and citric acid to preserve the gel.

Can you get a plant?
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:05 am

Dugan wrote:Is one of the things I'm allowed to put on my rads-treated breast. I've googled, and every time I see one that says its 100%, it really isn't. Is there such a thing? Or am I seeking a mythical unicorn?

That's true - it may have the most active parts of the aloe sap removed, or it may be diluted with aloe juice, or it may be just juice (no sap), and the ingredients can still say 100% aloe. However, the product called Skin Gel from Aloe Life is complete aloe sap [Skin Gel is made from fresh Certified Organic Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice. Thickened naturally with seaweed. The formula contains Vitamin E, A and C, combined with herbal extracts of Azulene from Chamomile and Allantoin from Comfrey], and I can attest it is an AWESOME product. After my days running the vitamin/bodycare department at Whole Foods, this is one of the few natural products that I still believe in and use. Here's a good price on it: http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec ... QgodG18AZw

BTW, aloe should be light gold in color, sticky as it's drying, and dries to an unattractive yellow on your skin. :) Use a VERRRRY thin layer.

It is THE BEST for sunburns.

Now the word "aloe" looks reeeeally strange.
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm

I wish you'd been the person I asked at WF yesterday! She recommended an Aubrey Organics product. I just googled to learn that it is, in fact, made from the juice and not the whole sap :(

I could get a plant but I'm really good at killing plants. Im also not sure if a plant would stand up to daily use for 6 weeks. I'm not sure how to use the plant either.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:50 am

The Aubrey Organics product I'd gotten is the Pure Aloe Vera. It does say aloe leaf juice. It's clear and not yellow :sigh:
Dugan

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:58 am

Sorry. :( Whole Foods will exchange it without a receipt (heck, even if you didn't buy it there! as long as it's something they carry), next time you're passing by. Even if you've opened/used it. (If you do have your receipt, you can get a refund.) And I think all locations carry, or can order, Skin Gel.

If you do get a plant, you can get them in various stages of development (younger = cheaper) and you can break off the tip of a leaf, enough to get release some sap, and then the next day break of more of the same leaf. But the problem there is that a lot of succulents are marketed as aloe when they're really not true aloe.
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:22 pm

The Skin Gel isn't good for me, at least not in the treatment field. I used it and within 30 minutes there was a clear delineation between where it was used and where it wasn't. Where it was used was a bright red color like a bad sunburn. I washed it off immediately. The redness was mostly faded in about two hours. I try to cover not just the treatment field but also at least a couple of inches beyond the border. I couldn't see that the skin looked any different on either side of that border.

I plan to test a much smaller patch far away from the field to see what happens.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:31 am

Well, it's fine on the ipsilateral ankle and actually quite soothing on a patch of dry itchy skin healing from poison ivy.
Dugan

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Ah. It is very intense. And in your case, pure aloe (straight from the leaf) will probably cause the same reaction. You may need to wait until the skin has recovered a bit more before applying it to very sensitive areas, if you even care to try again. By the way, did the redness hurt, or was it just color? Of course I don't know anything about using it for radiation, but redness in-and-of-itself is not always a problem, and could be a sign that it's bringing increased blood flow to the area. (Though, if it burns/hurts, or if more blood flow is contraindicated for radiation healing, it's definitely not worth using!)
It's interesting, then, that it would be one of the suggested products (and if so, was any testing done with whole-leaf aloe, or just the weak juices commonly found?).
I'm glad it helped on the other poison ivy spot! It'll be great to have around for any other issues. It's also safe for dogs and their various skin problems.
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:39 am

The red area wasn't affected in any other way.

I don't know why I didn't think to google before your post, but the vasodilatory affect is supposed to be an important part of the healing process. I found a PubMed article that compared three aloe products. I plan to search tomorrow to see if I can find anything about aloe & rads. It's also on the list to ask my RO next week.

I do know from gossip that some women are using just about anything aloe based, including some thing I'd think might be harmful, like aloe gel with alcohol. I'd think anything too drying or astringent would be not great. I know some women are given things like aquaphor to help the skin keep moist if it starts to break down. I'd think a good aloe product would be better than a petroleum-based product.

Based on your post, I gave the Skin Gel a try on my other breast. I sometimes get acne breakouts (menopause?) and wondered if the more delicate skin of that area might show the reddening. It did, with no other symptoms. It peaked & faded in about 90 minutes. I wonder if the vasodilatory affect might be part of why one of the suggested uses is for vaginal dryness?
Dugan

Next

Return to Sustainability & Conscious Consumption