Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Urban Gardening

What's it like at your house?

Urban Gardening

Postby Shiva » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 pm

How to turn a concrete desert into a food jungle

Simon Watkins gave up his car and took up cycling instead. It left him with a huge, empty concrete drive in front of his house. He decided to create a food jungle – no easy feat when you have little soil and compost and less money. Here he shares the beginning of the story step by step to encourage you to permaculture your front yard!

:heart:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Urban Gardening

Postby Emiloid » Thu May 03, 2012 7:59 am

OK, so this is more like suburban gardening in my case... anyone planting a garden this year? I'm a little late, I think... but hoping my plants will catch up once I put them in the ground this Sunday (or whenever). Here's what we've got planned:

tomatoes
chili peppers
sunflowers
winter squash
summer squash/zucchini
basil
summer savory
sunchokes
maybe greens and corn... we'll see if they work out
marigolds

Things already in the yard: wild strawberries, mint, rosemary, onions, garlic, dill.

Anyone else excited about the warming weather?
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 am

I may or may not get some seeds in the ground. This winter is lasting longer than normal so it's hard to get moving.
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Tue May 08, 2012 2:53 am

I was excited about the little patio attached to our teeny apartment in LA. I had dreams! AND this is HYDROPONICS CITY, y'all. Everyone grows their own "tomatoes." And then I saw how dirty the air is here. :-( :skull: :sick: Now I just want to get some houseplants in my apartment to help clean the air. And a bigger apartment so I can do some indoor hydroponics.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby panthera » Tue May 08, 2012 4:26 am

Half of my kale survived the winter, so I still have some of that, although now it's flowering. They're in pots. I tried planting garlic cloves which put out great shoots but now seem to be spent. I had some of them in the pots w/the kale, to help w/aphids. May have helped. Am trying to regenerate leek roots, as well as a pineapple top, just for fun. Planted remainder of spinach, cilantro, and & arugula seeds a few weeks ago in the wooden boxes out in the garden. They've germinated nicely. Some of the garlic chives are finally peeking through - not sure if they just take longer or what.

I planted Seed Savers Fish Peppers & Ground Cherry at about the same time but am only getting some teeny, spindly seedlings so far, not even sure I have any at all of the ground cherry. Or the echinacea. Also planted the Forget-Me-Nots given out by the "green cemetery" sales rep, but they haven't germinated at all.

Strawberry plants from my father-in-law's farm in Massachusetts are doing well, although I don't expect much fruit. Blueberry plant also doing fine, although it will not fruit much either, since it has no companion. Have abandoned the raspberry plant, which is too difficult to tend w/o getting those awful, very fine hairs embedded in my skin. However it's doing fine, even though it stayed outside all winter in a pot!
panthera

Postby Emiloid » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:48 am

Anyone got an urban garden growing? I don't have anything planted at the moment, but I'm looking forward to springtime. However, I also live in a suburban neighborhood, so maybe I need to start a new thread!
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby wildmindgirl » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:59 am

I've planted tomatoes on my patio and will once again sit back and wait for them to die. As they do. Always.
Love where you are right now.
wildmindgirl

Twitter handle: @wildmindgirl

Return to Vegan Household