Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Sleep's sweet embrace

What's it like at your house?

Sleep's sweet embrace

Postby JasperKat » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Man, do I ever love to sleep. I love to pull the heavy covers over me and poke just my head out, all snug and cozy.I love sleeping in the summer with the fan blowing over me. I love to read propped against the pillows until my eyes get heavy and my head starts to nod. I love the after work nap, me on the couch with the dogs tucked around me. I love to fall asleep listening to the radio or in complete silence. I love sleeping.

So why doesn't sleep love me back? :cry:

I can fall asleep in an instant, that's not the problem. The problem is staying asleep. Between 1:30 and 3:30 every morning I just... wake up. At first I thought it was the dogs rustling around, and sometimes it is. Sprocket will scratch his neck and the jingling tags will wake me, or Mol will hop up on the bed and jostle me. But sometimes it's nothing and I'm just... up. :( When I stayed with a client's dog a few weeks ago I thought "ah, I'll get some great sleep here. No snoring husband, and the dog isn't allowed on the bed, perfect!". Nope. Every morning my eyes flickered open while it was still dark, long before the alarm was due.

What gives? I know I'm tired when I go to bed, I'm usually asleep before Mr Kat finishes brushing his teeth. Too much/not enough alcohol before bed? :wink: Too hot or cold in the bedroom? Am I just a really light sleeper and the slightest noise rouses me? It really sucks! I honestly haven't had an uninterrupted night's sleep in months.

-JK
ETA: mods, feel free to move this post. I wasn't sure where it should go?
JasperKat

Re: Sleep's sweet embrace

Postby Dugan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:31 pm

:insomniatwins: That's me. Before the H, I blamed the fibroids for making the space for my bladder too small so I had to get up every two hours. Then, RnR's awful snoring. He's on a cpap now, which is very quiet. Alcohol doesn't help, but not drinking doesn't seem to either. Sometimes closing the door and keeping animals out helped, other times not since the cats will cry to come in. It isn't fun.
Dugan

Postby gladcow » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:40 pm

I also struggle with sleeping through the night. When my depression was really bad, I was getting up every hour between 2 and 7. It suuuuuuucked. Hard to say if it exacerbated my depression or the opposite.

I find that I am more likely to sleep through the night when I'm eating right and exercising. But, even that isn't a sure thing. Sometimes, I just...don't sleep.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby dropscone » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm having a problem with waking up 2-3 hours before I need to get up, after only 5 or so hours sleep. I've been blaming sleeping in the front room which has a road and pavement directly outside - the waste disposal trucks (council and some private one) come at a stupidly early hour on two different days, and this morning the milkman woke me with his whizzy electric cart thing :(

I can't blame animals as I don't have any, but I did get a better night's sleep at my friend's house in the spare back bedroom. However, I have also started waking up for no obvious reason as well quite a bit before dawn, quite often after vaguely disturbing dreams. I do get back to sleep eventually, but I have been tired at work most days.
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Postby JasperKat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 am

At least I'm in good company? :razz:

The absolute worst nights are when I'm up and my mind starts racing so there's no chance of falling back asleep soon. Most nights I can get back to sleep after 10-15 minutes, sometimes it's an hour before I can get comfortable and sleepy again.

Ugh, so frustrating! I walked dogs from 10-4 today then taught a class, I'm tired! I know my body is tired, but I'd bet money that my eyes will pop open in the middle of the night, long before I've had enough sleep.

-JK
JasperKat

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:39 am

I think that melatonin is helpful for not staying asleep. Try it?
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Melatonin did not work at all for me. I tried OTC sleep aids a couple of times. I sleep less with either of those than I do on my own.
Dugan

Postby JasperKat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:59 pm

I actually have some in the house for the dogs, so I'll give it a try!

Last night I didn't play on the computer before bed. I read somewhere that looking at a lit screen within an hour (?) of going to bed can disrupt your sleep? I don't know if it would have helped though, Mr K started snoring like a bear at 2am and woke me up :brood:

-JK
JasperKat

Postby matryoshka » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:30 am

JK, i know the feeling. i have on and off problems with sleeping (particularly with falling asleep). sometimes it feels random, other times i can tell that it's anxiety- and/or depression-related. for the latter, it actually helps to have the tv on or listen to music because it distracts me from the plethora of thoughts whizzing around in my head. otherwise, it keeps me up, because like you said the light disrupts your sleep (it messes up the circadian rhythm, the light tricks you into thinking it's not time to sleep yet).

also, i haven't tried melatonin but i've had success with valerian.
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby Miso Vegan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:44 am

I believe, but have no first-hand knowledge, that valerian is best for *falling* asleep, and melatonin is best for *staying* asleep. Of course, YMMV.
Miso Vegan

Next

Return to Vegan Household