Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Sleep's sweet embrace

What's it like at your house?

Re: Sleep's sweet embrace

Postby vegankitty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Way late but panthera, can't you use an ipod with headphones that are over the ear? In ear ones never fit my ears either.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby panthera » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:28 am

The ones that clip on over the ear don't stay on. I don't know if they have ones that go over the head like ear muffs, but ear muffs always hurt and come off, so I don't have high hopes about them, either.
panthera

Postby Emiloid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 pm

I think it's important to distingush between unusual sleep patterns and sleep disorders. If you have weird patterns but are functioning just fine, there's probably no reason to worry. I remember hearing awhile back that the idea of sleeping for 8 hours straight is a modern construct and may not be entirely normal, biologically speaking. Here's an article about it, but I think there are more scientific ones that could be searched out: http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/bus ... myth-1362/.

Anyway, with that in mind, for some people waking up in the middle of the night could be a good time to get a few things done. Turn on a low light (in a different room, if you sleep with someone else) and do something productive and not too emotionally intense--for instance, no TV or internet. After a while, you might feel sleepy again and go back to sleep for a couple of hours before you have to get up for work/school/day-life.

Maybe this stuff is obvious, but if you tend to nap in the afternoon (like JasperKat mentioned), you could try cutting that out for a while and seeing if you sleep better all night. Alcohol and caffeine can disrupt sleep, too. In fact, I find that drinking alcohol can make my sleep very fitful. Ditto for caffeine after about noon. In both cases, I will often fall asleep with no problem, but then wake up about 30-60 minutes later completely awake.
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby shananigans » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't usually have much trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, but I have a lot of trouble adjusting to a new sleep schedule that's too different from what my body naturally wants. If I don't have to adjust my sleep for school or work I naturally stay up till 2 or 3 and sleep till about 11 or noon. Tomorrow starts my new schedule of early mornings (need to be in class or at clinical by 6:45 or 7:45 four days a week) and I'm kind of dreading the early mornings. In the past when I've had early classes I can't get to sleep early enough, even if I plan plenty of time to get to bed early I just lie there awake. I used to stay up studying till I got tired (I feel focused and can get a lot done between 9 and 1), get 5 or 6 hours of sleep, and take a nap in the afternoon. My schedule won't allow for afternoon naps anymore. :( Does anyone have tips for getting to sleep earlier? Maybe melatonin could help?
shananigans

Postby panthera » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Your situation is exactly what melatonin should help with. W/a couple weeks of very regular "go to bed, if not to sleep, at X o'clock; get out of bed at Y o'clock," your cycle should shift. Once you stop keeping that schedule, you'll probably shift right back to your natural pattern, so you probably want to stick to it on your days off, as well. You might not even take that much time to get used to your new schedule! Good luck w/classes! :book:
panthera

Postby shananigans » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 pm

I'll give the melatonin a shot. Went to bed at 11 last night, remember still being awake at 1, woke up few minutes after 5, got up at 6:15. Morning lectures were a bit of a struggle to stay attentive, did a little better after lunch in small clinical group meeting. Feeling surprisingly awake after after bike ride home and a snack. If I can stay up to get through my reading and dinner I have hopes of getting on the right track by getting to sleep sooner tonight. I always have trouble staying on an early schedule on my off days, but I guess I really should make a habit of it. Not like I couldn't use those morning hours to study or catch up on house work, meal prep, etc.
shananigans

Postby Dugan » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:24 am

Has the melatonin helped? It never did much for me.
Dugan

Postby shananigans » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Nope, melatonin hasn't helped a whole lot. I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep lately, and waking up during the night sometimes. Pretty much sucks.
shananigans

Postby Dugan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:03 am

I've tried valerian tea before bed too, with no luck.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Oddly enough, my sleep patterns have improved over the past couple of months. For the past several years, I've slept 2-4 hours a night.

What's changed: In the midst of stress about other stuff, RnR reminded me about SAD & using my lamp. For the first winter in a few, I ended up using that consistently but only started in February. I remembered about the body clock stuff, did some reading, and ended up adding a small bit of melatonin. I also cut out alcohol entirely, since it can play an important role in some cancers. And, I have gotten back into exercising - every single day - as I used to years ago. Oh yah, and established goals for times for going to bed and getting up. It's worked well. I feel sleepy before bed, I get to sleep easily (as was once the case), wake up less in the middle of the night and get back to sleep more easily when it does happen. As a result, I'm feeling better, other things are easier, and so forth. It's like a reverse version of the vicious spiral that is depression. A friend and I established a "daily mutual nagging" email in which we check in with each other about a few daily goals, like these. It's been very helpful for sticking with the changes.

Also - a new mattress & foundation. The memory foam was comfortable but slept too dang hot. We found one at a local store that is built partly according to order, so a queen can have either a soft or firm overlay for each side. Underneath are individually pocketed coils, very little motion transfer. The foundation is what are called "euroslats" which are separate for each side and with zones that can be adjusted for more or less support. The division between sides is noticeable but not uncomfortable - it still feels like one mattress, even with the per-side differences. I went to bed with a very sore back last night after grooming Boo yesterday and woke up feeling fine this morning. Aaaahhhh!
Dugan

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Household