Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

House Plants

What's it like at your house?

House Plants

Postby matryoshka » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:28 am

i like house plants. when i first moved into my apartment i had two, and i recently got several more. i almost killed the two i started with, but i somehow brought them back to life. i'm still learning about this whole taking care of plants business.

i have:
2 varieties of croton
a snake plant
dumb cane
pothos
fittonia
and 4 kinds of cacti

what kind of house plants do you guys have? any tips to share?
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Re: House Plants

Postby JasperKat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:41 pm

We don't have plants because we have bad cats. Even cut flowers are out unless I make sure they're behind a closed door.

However, my mom put one of those little "grow a tree" kits in my Xmas stocking and they're actually growing! I'm pretty shocked, my house has zero sunny spots that are also cat safe, so I have to move the pots around into sunbeams a couple times a week. I'm probably overwatering them because the pots are near the sink so I see them 10 times a day and give them a drizzle from the faucet when the dirt is dry. But against all odds; pine tree sprouts!

-JK
JasperKat

Postby Ariann » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:41 am

I have a dead pot of sage. Still haven't figured out how to not kill houseplants. My husband has offered to build me a window-box for the spring, maybe that will be more successful.
Ariann

Postby SeitanicVegan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 am

Ariann wrote:I have a dead pot of sage. Still haven't figured out how to not kill houseplants. My husband has offered to build me a window-box for the spring, maybe that will be more successful.

I'm not good with houseplants either. I just keep replacing them. :| I keep my current batch of plants on a metal stand in one of the few spots where the kitties can't get to them. I don't know what specific kinds of plants I have, some ferns, a couple succulents, and two "money trees" (the plants where you can weave and mold how the main stem/trunk grows ... bamboo?) I also have two plants in my bedroom, an ivy and an African violet. I have never been able to keep an African violet more than a year or so. Apparently, they're picky, and I can't figure out what they want. So far, so good, though. If I have time, I'll take a picture.
SeitanicVegan

Postby matryoshka » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:31 am

speaking of kitties, ASPCA has lots of information on which plants are toxic and non-toxic to animals here:http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby Miso Vegan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:36 am

I used to kill houseplants, even the ones that were "impossible to kill," but decided one day I wasn't going to do that any more. I bought plants that were hard-to-kill and didn't need intense light, and I kept the little plastic tag in the plant's soil, so the instructions were always handy. I started off with once/week watering (Sundays, for me), and went heavy or light on the watering depending on the instructions, but never more water than would start to come out the bottom of the pot.
I got to where I didn't need to check the instructions each time. I also got to where I ended up mostly with plants that could go longer than a week for watering. I got used to what they looked like when they needed watering. Now I just water when I see they're drooping, going around the house with the watering "can" (it's plastic) at that time. The ones that need more watering are kept near a faucet (kitchen and bathroom), and the ones that can be ignored are kept in rooms that are less-frequently visited.

Some plants still die, but nowadays that's as often due to our cat than to a black thumb. Misha (the cat, not to be confused with Mishka, the Vegan Ethos member who has never harmed my plants!) finally killed off the (long-lasting and long-suffering) Wandering Jews - and had I some spare time, I could've revived them with replanting/hanging where she couldn't get them. They're soooo easy!) and a little palm-like plant.

What I have right now:
quite a few cacti, out in the greenhouse window of the "studio" (a separate little building on our property)
some kind of dangling ivy thing (I love dangling plants! So does Misha :( )
spider plant (Misha ate the babies, but the mother plant is surviving, despite her best efforts...)
African Violet*
A new palm-like thing, "Neantha Bella," to replace the one Misha ate

*As for the African violet, someone who is skilled with houseplants told me the secrets. SeitanicVegan, maybe this will help you?
1) Never let water touch the leaves.
2) Keep them in a pot with holes on the bottom, and keep that pot in one of those plastic dishes for plants. Add water to the plastic dish; the plant will draw up water as needed. Only add water when the plastic dish is dry.
Miso Vegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:42 am

BTW, I have found common cooking herbs nearly impossible to grow. :brood:
Miso Vegan

Postby SeitanicVegan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 am

Miso Vegan wrote:*As for the African violet, someone who is skilled with houseplants told me the secrets. SeitanicVegan, maybe this will help you?
1) Never let water touch the leaves.
2) Keep them in a pot with holes on the bottom, and keep that pot in one of those plastic dishes for plants. Add water to the plastic dish; the plant will draw up water as needed. Only add water when the plastic dish is dry.

That is a really good idea. Right now, my African violet is in one of those specially designed "African violet" planter-within-a-planter thingies. It's supposed to do what you're talking about: allow the plant to draw moisture up through the pot. I think I'll try your suggestion with the plastic dish, though. It would be easier for me to keep track. Thanks!
SeitanicVegan

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 am

[quote="Miso Vegan";p=184]

Some plants still die, but nowadays that's as often due to our cat [Misha M'koo] than to a black thumb.

The "before" photo is here: http://forum.veganethos.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=284#p284

The "middle" picture:

Then finally she mowed it down to a nub, and knocked it off the shelf. The end.

We didn't get a picture of that one, but we do have evidence of the usual fate of our houseplants, if she gets fixated:

and

Miso Vegan

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Beware of the "Cycad" or "Sago Palm"

House Plant That Kills Pets
http://beforewisdom.com/blog/general/ho ... ills-pets/
beforewisdom

Next

Return to Vegan Household