Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Nail Care

Nail Care

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:38 am

Having finally conquered a lifelong nail-biting (actually, more of a nail-picking) habit, I have become a fan of neat, sometimes painted, nails. Sadly, my neat, sometimes painted, nails get chipped and broken a lot because I am kinda clumsy and I tend to whack them on the spokes of my chair wheels. Also, I have hobbies that are not manicure-friendly (gardening, crafting, etc) :/ So I keep them short - just barely to the ends of my fingers or shorter.

My favorite nail polish brands are:

SpaRitual: My favorite. Easy to work with, two light coats covers beautifully. I buy it at Sidecar.

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics: Terrific colors! I love Swamp Thing and Chalkboard. I bought them online, directly from OCC.

No-Miss: More affordable than the first two. I use their base coat and top coat for that reason, but haven't tried any of their colors yet. My local co-op carries them. :)

Finger Paints is a brand that I picked up at Sally Beauty Supply on a whim - formaldehyde-free, and lots of awesome colors. Not terribly easy to work with, though. The polish is thick and takes awhile to dry.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Nail Care

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 am

I just came across a review of Scotch Naturals, and I am intrigued. Anyone tried them?
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 am

Random Nail Care Tips from someone who is hard on her manicures:

Dry nails -> chipped nail polish. Moisturize between manicures. Try massaging some oil into your cuticles and nails pre-manicure, or any time when your nails are bare. Olive oil is great, and you probably already have it so you don't have to buy a separate product just for your nails.

Top coat! Re-apply frequently to protect your nail color. Daily. As in every day. Do it.

Base coat keeps your nail color from dyeing your nails. Also good for smoothing out nail ridges if you have them. T0tally skippable if you don't care about either of those things.

Wearing gloves when you garden, wash the dishes, etc -> longer lasting manicures. Also keeps your nails from getting dried out and damaged by those activities.

Thinner nail poish is easier to work with. Two thin coats will generally come out looking better than one thick one, and will dry much more quickly.

Carry a nail file in your bag/car/jacket pocket or somewhere handy. When you chip or break a nail, file it down so that there are no rough edges to snag and tear your nail further...or to tempt you to pick at them. :anxious:

Do not pick at your nail polish. It thins and dries your nails. Boo! Stop it.
Shiva

Postby vegankitty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:48 am

I used to do my nails- it was a job requirement but now I just do my toes. I have a LOT of nail polish though because I'm a compulsive nail polish shopper. It's mostly OPI brand.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Miso Vegan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:28 am

Those are good tips, Shiva.
Miso Vegan

Postby gladcow » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 pm

ha! tips! :D

yes, they are good. my nails have been splitting since I started polishing them again. I think I'll moiosturize them before the next polish round and see if that helps.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby bluedawg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:30 am

oh dood, i could yap in here forever. my new favorite brand is zoya. they are vegan and 5-free, and their color lock system is amazeballs. i used to only ever do pedis, because i could never keep a mani un-chipped for more than 24-48 hours, but that has all changed. nails painted constantly now.

another good company is butter london. i've more than doubled my nail polish collection in the past few months. check out mah flickr page if you'd like to see all the colors i've been trying lately. i have an album called nail polish. :)
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby quagga » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:29 am

wow, bluedawg - you look like a hand model in that flickr set! you should get a kickback from zoya and butter london. you almost make me want to wear nail polish.
quagga

Postby Shiva » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 am

What quagga said! Nice pictures!
Shiva

Postby vegankitty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Ooh, good to know Butter London is vegan. I was looking at that brand locally.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Next

Return to Cosmetics