Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

PDX travel

PDX travel

Postby stegan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Oh hai. We're strongly considering making Portland our summer vacation destination this year, and I had a few questions. I don't know if anyone knows the area well enough to answer them, but I thought I'd ask. :D

1. I'm sort of a fan of the idea of making a week out of Portland itself and not really leaving city limits. As much as the girl and I like taking trips, we're also fans of relaxing, do-nothing vacations. I kind of want this to be a combo of both. Is Portland worth a week unto itself, or would it be a mistake not to venture to the surrounding areas? What would you do if you had a week in the city?

2. Where should we eat?

3. This sort of links back to #1, but would it make any sense to rent a car?

4. Would anyone like to meet up? :) Our dates are still in flux, but if'n/when we make the trip, I'd like to hang out.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Re: PDX travel

Postby Ariann » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Just speaking to your first question, a friend of mine recently spent her honeymoon in Portland. They are beer-lovers and visited something like two dozen breweries while there. So, there's that. Personally, I spent a day in Portland and didn't have plans and a day wound up being plenty of time to do some meandering and eating.
Ariann

Postby gladcow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:07 pm

I think you could easily spend a week in Portland and not be bored as long as the weather isn't bad (yes, it does rain in the summer sometimes). But, having a car enables you to go to the coast (about 2 hrs from Portland) and the mountains (about an hour or two, depending on what kind of mountainy stuff you like) as well as to Salem (which isn't half bad if I do say so mahself). Eugene is also only 2 hours away.

I can give you many many food recommends. Off the top of my head, without links:
Vita Cafe, Paradox Cafe, Vege Thai (you've eaten there before!), Portobello, Papa G's, Los Gorditos, Sweet Pea...

YES PLZ MEETUP WITH THE GLADFAM :D
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegankitty » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:37 am

Food carts at 12th and Hawthorne! Vegan poutine, object fries and fried pie. I spent less than a week and could've spent more.

There was a place we had brunch that was awesome. Chicken fried tempeh. I'll have to ask what it's called. And the Bye and Bye- all vegan bar. Bare all serve food in Portland.

I'm hoping to be there in November for a conference. If all goes well all expenses will be paid.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby vegankitty » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:38 am

Voodoo Donuts!
vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 am

3. From what I've read, public transportation in Portland is very good. atomx and I drove there the one time that we've been, so we didn't use it.

4. Yes!

We'll come down to PDX, but we'll also try to lure you north. :antlers:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:44 am

[quote="Shiva";p=879]3 we'll also try to lure you north.

THIS.
Miso Vegan

Postby vegankitty » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Transportation is good in Portland. I don't drive and am used to good transportation and found Portland very easy to get around. I bought a one week transit pass for two zones and that got me everywhere I wanted to go. If you wanted to rent a car to go to the coast you could probably do that for a day.
vegankitty

Postby stegan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Sigh- so it looks like the difficulties and timing and how flipping expensive airfare is right now are going to keep us from tripping out west this summer. :( We'll get this done someday...
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby gladcow » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm

and we will be here when you do! :yes:
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Next

Return to US: PNW