Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

SoCal

SoCal

Postby Sarah » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:52 am

Hello!

I live in the Valley, and in fact feel as though I may be the only one here not from the North West. . . .
But I'm going to share anyway!!

So just today I have discovered one of my new favorite markets. A little, inconspicuous place in Highland Hills called "Figueroa Produce". Not an entirely vegan store, but a place with more vegan products than anywhere I've been, it seems. A variety of vegan cheeses, a whole slew of vegan meat-type stuff. I went and purchased many more things than I was planning on. And the lovely news their adorable cashier gave me, is that in just a month and a half, a second branch is opening just slightly closer to my house, and this one will be ENTIRELY vegetarian/vegan!!

A few notable things from today's shopping trip:

-Coconut yogurt
-Nacho Mom's vegan queso
-Dandies marshmallows(just ate what is possibly my first marshmallow of any kind, EVER)
-Dr. Cow cashew cheese
-Lightlife smoked tempeh bacon
-Tofurkey frozen veggie and sausage pizza

They also sell cactus, which is awesome, because I never end up going out of my way to go to a separate market JUST for a bit of cactus. But it will make some delicious fajitas.

While I have only lived in LA for a few years, I already have a handful of my favorite vegan restaurants. I am also quite a frequenter of Disneyland, so if anyone is ever planning on visiting and wants to know the best DLand spots to grab vegan food, I know a few things.

Now I'm off to snack on some vegan quinoa and blueberry pudding.
Sarah

Re: SoCal

Postby Shiva » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:57 am

The legendary Dr. Cow! How is it?

And how was your first marshmallow ever?
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:09 pm

How was it that you are only just now having marshmallows in your whole life?!?
Miso Vegan

Postby Ariann » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:55 pm

+1 Miso, craziness!

I still haven't had Dr. Cow and I'm way closer to its manufacture! Sarah, you're certainly not the only one not in the PNW. There are a few of us east-coasters and a few midwesterners here.
Ariann

Postby Sarah » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Well I've been a vegetarian my whole life. I've had some knowledge of animal based products, and one bit that I always remembered was that I couldn't eat marshmallows. My first one ever was squishy, overly sweet, and mildly disappointing, given that I'd waited my whole life for it. But then I had a s'more, and THAT seems the true reason for marshmallow's existence.

I just had some Dr. Cow with my lunch. It caught me off guard, as I was expecting something mild. My only basis of expectation was some cashew goat cheese my mama made. But after coming to terms with the fact that it wasn't supposed to be anything like goat cheese, and the fact that it's a weird sort of gray color, I quite liked it. It's rather cheddar-y. Might try making a grilled cheese with it. It also tastes very potent. I can eat very little of this where I would normally devour much more real cheese.

And I'm glad I'm not the only odd verf out! Now I know there's someone to go to before I visit the East coast next.
Sarah

Postby Shiva » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 am

Ah, Sarah, your perspective may be skewed because you met a bunch of vegans/VErfers here in the PNW (at the big meetup) - but many of them traveled a long way to be there. Here. Then. :thinking: For example: squirrel and bluedawg flew from some place called Wisconsin, formerly one of the United States.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby gladcow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:52 pm

*snort* *cry* oh Wisconsin

I am envious of the Dr Cow trying! I want that stuff so bad.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby bluedawg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:16 pm

[quote="Shiva";p=1765]For example: squirrel and bluedawg flew from some place called Wisconsin, formerly one of the United States.

*sob*

how was the nacho mom's queso? i've been dying to try that one! i've tried the other one (food for lovers) but now i must compare. :nice:
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:10 pm

I enjoyed it, but I think it could have been better. I need to try some others, because as far as I'm concerned real nacho cheese is an addiction. It was a little too sweet almost. I needed more of the tangy cheese flavor.
Sarah

Return to US: California