Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Restaurants!

Restaurants!

Postby Dugan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58 pm

On a recent trip to Boston, RnR introduced me to Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge MA, in Central Square. I ate way too much and enjoyed it all.

We stopped in again today. I had Eggs Benedict (tofu eggs for .50 extra) with home fries. RnR ordered the tofu melt and opted for the house-made vegan cheese along with a couple of sides and some onion rings. This time, we stuck around for dessert. I had the coconut citrus cake - the lemon curd filling was pleasingly piquant. RnR had sweet potato carrot cake which was also very good.

They say all their desserts are vegan. I saw a lemon meringue pie and will try that next time. I'm wondering how in earth one makes a vegan meringue.
Dugan

Re: Restaurants!

Postby vegankitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 pm

I love lemon meringue pie! I had a raw one once that was really good.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Re: Restaurants!

Postby quagga » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Dugan wrote:I saw a lemon meringue pie and will try that next time. I'm wondering how in earth one makes a vegan meringue.

I would have snatched it up right then and there. I have had so many times when I've gone back somewhere and the thing I wanted the last time is no longer there. Heck, I've had times when the whole restaurant disappeared before I had a chance to go back.

I have a packet of vegan meringue mix that I have yet to use. The instructions are a little persnickety and involve two different powders. Miyoko Schinner (of Vegan Artisan Cheese fame) created a bakeable meringue out of whipped flax goo.

I feel the need to get to the East Coast and do some eatin', hikin' and lookin', but I think that will have to wait till next year.
quagga

Return to US: New England