Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Sell yourself! Or just your stuff.

Sell yourself! Or just your stuff.

Postby Shiva » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

o hai! I will start: Here is my etsy shop: The Gypsy Vegan

I am trying to make and sell enough goods to cover the copay on a new wheelchair. If you need a gorgeous bracelet, then now is the time to treat yourself to one. :nice: I'll be adding grocery totes made from recycled t-shirts as I make them, so check back in a few days if you're interested in those.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to share the link to my shop. :kiss:

~Shiva
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Shameless Plugs and Self-Promotion

Postby dropscone » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Very nice! I bet those take ages to make.
"and all the world is biscuit shaped, it's just for me to feed my face, and I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste..."
dropscone

Postby Shiva » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks, dropscone. (Somehow I missed your comment until now. :blush: ) They do take ages to make, and it's hard to ask for (and get) a fair price for them. I am still learning to value my time and skills in a commercial context. It's... odd. I love it when I can make things and give them away to people who will love, enjoy, and/or use them. That is the best. But it doesn't pay for new wheels. Oh, capitalism, you vex me so!

My etsy/wheelchair update: I sold a few pieces - by happy coincidence, my income from those was almost exactly the same amount as the copay on my chair! w00t!!1! So I decided to say THANK YOU to the world by donating the remaining three pieces to Pigs Peace Sanctuary. Since pigs don't wear jewelry, the bracelets are for sale at Sidecar, with 100% of the $$$ going to the pigs. :heart:

Next, I got ridiculously serious about making grocery totes out of t-shirts. I read dozens of tutorials and blog posts, and tested lots of patterns. Many, many t-shirts later, I had my own design, and I gotta say... it is very good. :cool: I made ten bags for Sidecar (out of their t-shirts), and they sold out on the day that they arrived! Whoa. That was pretty great for my self-confidence.

For the etsy shop, I'm making t-shirt totes out of cool shirts that I find at thrift stores, garage sales, etc. "Cool" means anything from superheroes to cyborg skulls, so far. Check them out: The Gypsy Vegan on etsy

I'll be adding more, and also doing some hand embroidered things. And whatever captures my imagination next. And I'd really, really like to find a way/place to share my skills and ideas by teaching. I'm open to ideas, so bring 'em on. :)
Shiva

Postby Shiva » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 am

OH AND P.S. MY NEW CHAIR WILL BE HERE ANY DAY NOW!!!
Shiva

Postby Ariann » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:11 pm

You know what would be cool? If people could send you old t-shirts that they don't wear any more and pay you to make them into bags. Just sayin'.
Ariann

Postby Miso Vegan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:21 pm

A very good idea. I have some shirts I've saved for nostalgia but don't wear, ever.
Miso Vegan

Postby quagga » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:01 am

There's a company that advertises in my running magazine that takes your race shirts and sends them back to you in the form of quilts. This is a good thing, since often race shirts are not exactly high quality and sometimes are ill-fitting.

I have not run enough races to accumulate enough shirts to make a quilt, but it's a cool idea.
quagga

Postby Shiva » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:47 am

[quote="Ariann";p=3722]You know what would be cool? If people could send you old t-shirts that they don't wear any more and pay you to make them into bags. Just sayin'.

Yeah! I thought of that, too! What do you folks think would be a fair price for that?

For reference: The bags that sold at Sidecar for $20 (and are listed on etsy now for the same price) take 2 t-shirts to make, and I usually pay between 1 and 3 dollars per shirt at Goodwill. So, I'm making anywhere from 14 to 18 bucks per tote bag. Would it be worth $15 to have a tote bag made out of your old t-shirt? $12? What's the magic number that makes you go from "hey that's cool" to getting out your wallet? Should I do discounted prices for multiple bags?

I am no good at this!!* HALP!**

*I mean that I am not good at pricing/valuing handmade goods, labor, skill, etc. I am actually pretty good at making stuff. :)

** Please and thank you.
Shiva

Postby Ariann » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 pm

I think $15 sounds reasonable because people really like stuff that feels personalized and as though they had a hand in its creation.
Ariann

Postby Shiva » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks, Ariann. :)
Shiva

Next

Return to General Forum