Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Sell yourself! Or just your stuff.

Re: Shameless Plugs and Self-Promotion

Postby Miso Vegan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:35 am

How much time does it take you to make one? I know you're getting better/more skilled so that will cut down the time, so, how much time do you think a *typical* bag would take to make?
Miso Vegan

Postby vegankitty » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Yeah, you need to take labor into account too. I am really bad at valuing my labor.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:30 am

Construction time is somewhere between one and two hours. T-shirt fabric (especially used shirts, with different weight-/thicknesses, stretch, strength, etc.) is surprisingly Not Easy to work with.

$12-15 might sound insufficient for two hours' work, but I don't think that it is if you're working at home in your pajamas. But - when I say that, am I perpetuating the undervaluing of this kind of work? This is one reason I find pricing so difficult. And, IMO, one of the major downsides to selling on etsy is that you are competing with sellers who do seriously undervalue their work and their products, for whatever reason.

You can buy a grocery tote made out of a t-shirt for $5 on etsy. Maybe mine are "better", maybe not. But it is definitely not worth my time and effort to make them them and sell them for $5*. Another person may be using materials that they already have (their own old t-shirts) and they may feel that any money that they make is better than none, so it's worth it to them.

OTOH, you can buy a grocery tote made out of a t-shirt for $50 on etsy. It sort of feels like when you put a higher price on your goods, you are telling shoppers that your goods are worth more. Do you think that is true?

Perhaps my biggest problem is that I am really frugal, so I am always thinking "would I pay $X for it?" And of course I wouldn't because I'd just make it myself! :laugh: :/ :S I need people to don't have the time, inclination, and/or skills to make their own stuff to help me figure it out. I am not my own market.

*But making things for no money feels just fine, whether I'm donating or gifting. :)
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Shiva » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:32 am

p.s. I really appreciate the feedback, peops. Thank you for being my sounding board. :kiss: I talk atomx's ear off sometimes. :anxious:
Shiva

Postby Ariann » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Yeah, there's a reason I rarely shop on Etsy. I have no idea what things are really worth there because there's no way to examine the quality of the work and I simultaneously think when people charge exorbitantly for something: "wow, it must be awesome" and "wow, that person is full of themselves."

I think you have to pay yourself a living wage and take your overhead into account. Working from home in your pjs using a bit of electricity, internet, and thread = fairly low overhead. So then what would you need to charge if you did this full-time and were living off the profits? And if you charged that much, would it sell? (that's the hard question)

And your customers ARE like you in a way, because they like similar things. The likelihood, though, is your customers have more disposable income, otherwise they'd make the thing themselves or go without. So maybe you should imagine what you'd pay for something if you made an extra 10 or 20 thousand dollars a year, because that's probably your target market.
Ariann

Postby gladcow » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 pm

the husb is thinking of starting a new business. making guitar pedals. vegan guitar pedals. what say yous guys?
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Ariann » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't know what a guitar pedal is. :)
Ariann

Postby gladcow » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:03 pm

everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Shiva » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:01 am

:up:
Shiva

Re: Sell yourself! Or just your stuff.

Postby Shiva » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:46 pm

I just changed the name of this topic, and then changed it again. Then I moved it. And then I moved it back. I hope that I didn't break the forum.
Shiva

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum