Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Hurricane irene

Re: Hurricane irene

Postby Ariann » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Vk, let me know if you need a place to go. Don't know how you'd get here, but we will be around
Ariann

Postby stegan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:02 pm

It's been raining nonstop for about three hours here already, and it's supposed to continue through tomorrow morning. The ground was already saturated from rains earlier this week- add that to buildings damaged by the earthquake, and we may not even need wind to wreak havoc...
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby Dugan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 pm

[quote="Ariann";p=3826]Vk, let me know if you need a place to go. Don't know how you'd get here, but we will be around

I wish I'd thought of that, but it might not be any better here. Outside is as battened down as we can make it, next step is getting as much as possible up off the basement floor, just in case. The center is supposed to be tracking nne just east of Greenfield, which puts it 15-ish miles west of us. NWS says heavy rains are to the west, heavy winds to the east. According to the forecast, we kinda straddle that and so shouldn't get the worst of either: 4-5" rain (instead of the 8-10 expected in the CT river valley) and winds around 65 mph with gusts to 80 during the peak tomorrow afternoon.

My biggest concern is that the combination of saturated ground and high winds will tip trees from the roots. Otherwise, this particular area shouldn't be bad, thanks to the ice storm a few years ago. That knocked down a lot, and forced even more clean up and upgrading of power line corridors. :fingers crossed:

I gotta say, this isn't the first hurricane I've seen in NE. The others have seemed like much ado about nothing. I don't know why I'm feeling nervous this time, or why i'm compelled to do so much nesting/emergency prep.

Hope y'all stay safe and dry.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks Ariann. It's supposed to hit around 9 pm here. I have water stockpiled and am really just hoping we don't lose power. I took a walk with Bonnie over by the river in the evacuation zone. There were a group of homeless people camped out there. The police came and spoke to them but then drove on. I really hope they leave or are moved. The water definitely comes over there during storms.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Started raining yesterday afternoon, wind picked around 5 this am. Looks like NY and NJ are in the worst of it right now. It'll be weaker once it's here. I tried to let the dogs into the kennel this morning. They both looked at me like I'm crazy as I pushed them out then both huddled right by the door. The kennel has a roof and we parked a vehicle to act as a windbreak, but still. Big tough dogs.
Dugan

Postby Ariann » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:27 pm

No power the last 8 hours (and continuing) and lost the giant tree outside our bedroom window (luckily it fell the other way, it crushed the roof of the frestanding boiler room, so who knows about hot water). We had no wind to speak of and the rain is all over.

Certainly no hurricane floyd.
Ariann

Postby stegan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:59 pm

We didn't lose power thanks to underground lines, but a few blocks away, there are pretty large outages. It seems like most of the trees taking out power lines in the surrounding area actually came down this morning, when most of the rain had stopped and the winds were much lower.

It's funny/sad that people on social networks are complaining the storm wasn't worse. They should be thrilled.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby vegankitty » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:10 pm

We didn't lose power-the storm made landfall at Coney Island at that cut it's strength. Ironically DJ upstate lost power and a tree to the storm, even though he was less in it's path than me.

And really I agree with stegan's sentiment-also, it wasn't bad for THEM. So far eleven or twelve people have died.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:21 pm

I will refrain from making a joke about how last night's spam attack here at VErf may have been worse. :uhoh: But I am really glad that Irene didn't do much harm. And I am super glad that all of our vegan peops are okay! :sweat:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Ariann » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Turns out can't drink our water. If this were worse we'd be screwed from our own laziness. Couldn't bear to make breakfast happen so we willingly drove around for half an hr trying to find an open restaurant and an unblocked road. I am really glad the giant tree didn't crush my bedroom.
Ariann

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum