Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

East Coast Meetup

East Coast Meetup

Postby vegankitty » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:10 am

So we can stay out of the PNW thread, and plan our own meetup, I start this thread.

We need a place and a date. I am definitely working the last two weeks of August.Actually I really never have days off anymore but those two weeks I can't take time off at all.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Re: East Coast Meetup

Postby vegematic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:03 pm

I leave Friday for a month and will return on 19 August. Once school gets started I'll have most Sundays off and some Saturdays with it. I won't know that schedule until end of August, though.

Places:
Boston has a bunch of vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants (that I've not been to yet but have heard raves about), Plenty of public transportation (Chinese bus from NYC is supposed to be cheap, there's also Amtrak)

Brattleboro, VT has ahimsa's tea shop, Amherst-Northhampton, MA is a big hippie college area that should have tons of stuff, there is a line of Amtrak that runs up the Connecticut River and should serve these areas reasonably well.

NYC has everything, of course

Other possibilities?
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby Ariann » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

I can just say off the bat that I will probably be miserable company at the end of August and I will hopefully be a lot less pregnant, but really busy, from the beginning of September to mid-October. After that, Sundays are best for me and I could make Saturday nights work most of the time, but Saturday day will be pretty tough.
Ariann

Postby Dugan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:39 pm

My next final is 8/19, so anything after that is great!

Boston: True Bistro (well, really, Somerville) is excellent but spendy.
Bratt also has the co-op with vegan options.
The Amherst/Noho vegan options I've found have been less than thrilling, but omni/veggie places usually have at least a couple of vegan options.
NYC: clueless, but must have tons of options.

Amherst or Bratt would work if we wanted to include a small hike, as we'd talked about before.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:55 pm

I've heard good things about Cafe Evolution in Northampton. I love the Berkshires. I went to U Mass Amherst for a partial semester.

Boston has vegan pizza.

New York is of course easy for me but expensive to visit.

I would NEVER take a Chinatown bus. They have hideous safety records as well as really poor cleanliness. Bolt and Megabus are discount lines that serve all the big (and some smaller) cities that are as cheap or cheaper. And most have outlets for electronics and wifi.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Ariann » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 pm

+1 on Bolt and Megabus, don't take a Chinatown bus.

NY is also easiest for me, obviously. I also have a spare room with bed plus a fairly comfortable couch for crashing, I'm about half an hour west of Manhattan.
Ariann

Postby Shiva » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

Coolio! Now the left coast has the envy... :antlers:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Return to Atlantic States