Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

vegan cupcakes take over the world

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

vegan cupcakes take over the world

Postby bluedawg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:31 am

i ADORE this cookbook. i've made several different recipes, but i tend to stick to the same ones over and over for some reason--maybe because i know they're winners?

my very favorite is the pumpkin chocolate chip. i've gotten lots of compliments when i make them, including a person who told me it was the Very Best Cupcake he had ever eaten in his life. woo! my sister is obsessed with these (really, so am i), and she requests them whenever she gets a chance (any fall holiday, her birthday, etc.).

i also frequently make the cookies & cream cupcakes (which is a variation of the "your basic chocolate cupcake" recipe). sometimes i use mint newman-o's for fun.

i recently made the vanilla cuppers for the first time--i've never made vanilla cupcakes in my life--because my 3-year-old niece requested "white cupcakes with pink frosting" for her third birthday party. who am i to refuse? they were delicious!

tonight i'm making the peanut butter cupcakes for one of my TAs (i always bring treats when one of them has a birthday). i added 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and i'm about to go make the ganache to drizzle over the top. we'll see how they go... i've made them once or twice before, but i remember not being super excited by them (my only 'failures' in this book), so i wanted to try them again and add the chonklit. :nice:
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Re: vegan cupcakes take over the world

Postby JasperKat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:39 pm

[quote="bluedawg";p=979]my very favorite is the pumpkin chocolate chip. i've gotten lots of compliments when i make them, including a person who told me it was the Very Best Cupcake he had ever eaten in his life. woo! my sister is obsessed with these (really, so am i), and she requests them whenever she gets a chance (any fall holiday, her birthday, etc.).

They're my faves too, in no small part because they're so darn easy!

-JK
JasperKat

Postby bluedawg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:22 pm

they ARE easy! the ease-to-deliciousness ratio is off the charts. people always make such a huge deal over them, and they're no sweat to make at all. man i :heart: those things.
bluedawg

Postby debiguity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 am

Have you tried the margarita cupcakes? I think those are my favorite!
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby bluedawg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:39 am

[quote="bluedawg";p=979]tonight i'm making the peanut butter cupcakes for one of my TAs (i always bring treats when one of them has a birthday). i added 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and i'm about to go make the ganache to drizzle over the top. we'll see how they go... i've made them once or twice before, but i remember not being super excited by them (my only 'failures' in this book), so i wanted to try them again and add the chonklit. :nice:

these went over very well! they still aren't my favorites (i can't really put a finger on why), but i do like the addition of the chocolate chips. :)

i haven't tried the margarita ones, partially because i'm not a drinker so i never think of them! they seem so cute, though.
bluedawg

Postby matryoshka » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 am

the margarita ones are tasty! too bad i can't buy alcohol or else i'd make me some :laugh:
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby JasperKat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm

[quote="debiguity";p=1015]Have you tried the margarita cupcakes? I think those are my favorite!

They sound really tasty but I've never made them. I should whip up a batch for the next girl's night :thinking: How fiddly* are they to make on a scale of 1 to 5?

-JK
*are there a bunch of unusual ingredients to buy or a million steps? I'm a lazy baker!
JasperKat

Postby gladcow » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:11 pm

I've made the margarita cupcakes sans alcohol for a vegan meetup. They were GREAT.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby debiguity » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:23 am

[quote="JasperKat";p=1048][quote="debiguity";p=1015]Have you tried the margarita cupcakes? I think those are my favorite!

They sound really tasty but I've never made them. I should whip up a batch for the next girl's night :thinking: How fiddly* are they to make on a scale of 1 to 5?

-JK
*are there a bunch of unusual ingredients to buy or a million steps? I'm a lazy baker!

The only really unusual ingredient is the decorative stuff, which I skipped. You can use either sugar or salt around the outer rim of the cupcake, you know, like a margarita! The sort of largish multi colored sugar is definitely cute in the picture, but it's the kind of thing I'll check my local market to see if they have, and if not I'm not going to be bothered looking harder. I didn't even look for the green food coloring, of which it only uses a small amount anyway. I'm a lazy baker, but an even lazier decorator!

There's also plenty of tequilla in the batter and frosting, but tequilla's a pretty common thing in my kitchen! :)

Oh, and lime juice.

Nothing outlandish, and the steps are the same as for any cupcake, so as long as you can get your hands on tequilla and some limes, you're golden! So on a fiddliness scale, I'd put them at a 3 (with 1 being the lowest), but I put *all* cupcakes at a 3 or higher. Cupcakes are fiddlier than a lot of desserts, but for a girl's night they're totally worth it, and a lot of fun!
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby stegan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I love the margarita ones- the only tricky bit I've found is that the longer you leave them sitting around, the more the remnants of the tequila settle at the bottom of the cake. It doesn't make them bad, just much, much stronger flavored. So eat em quick!
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Next

Return to Cookbooks