Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Veganomicon

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Veganomicon

Postby Dugan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Aside from being one of my go-to cookbooks, I pulled it off the shelf this morning to use it for a chem lab that wanted me to get the measurement of 3 different objects in centimeters and inches, then calculate the ratio of cm/in. V-Con is transdimensional, I think. I measured it 5 times, 2 rulers, got consistent measurements in inches and in centimeters, and yet the ratio was consistently off. I'm pleased to report that the Gladcow Cookbook suffers from no such abnormality!
Dugan

Re: Veganomicon

Postby Dugan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Aside from measurements, we make the Broiled Tofu a LOT! It's great together with Gladcow's Cheezish.
Dugan

Postby gladcow » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:30 pm

LOL
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby bluedawg » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:52 pm

the recipe we make the most from this one is the lower-fat banana bread. h-dawg makes it constantly, but he often tinkers a bit (usually to add ground flax, and chocolate chips). it's delicious!!
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby quagga » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:03 pm

I love the biscotti recipe.
quagga

Postby vegankitty » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:41 pm

I've made the chickpea cutlets and the pumpkin ziti (except I used butternut squash because DJ thought pumpkin would be weird.)
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:42 am

We've used both butternut and pumpkin, and both are good. I keep meaning to try the chickpea cutlets because of all the recommendations.

Broiled Tofu remains a ubiquitous fave that can take some variation. I used 50/50 balsamic vinegar/tamari tonight, and yummmmm a nice balsamic reduction! We've also used orange or lime in place of the lemon, added various other things (sesame oil, maple syrup, apple cider syrup, cayenne, curry paste, smoke flavoring...), and it always comes out good. We prefer to marinate the tofu for several hours first, and to increase the cooking times to something like 15-7-7, but it's tough to go wrong with this one.
Dugan

Postby Ariann » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:56 pm

I like the pumpkin ziti a lot (I significantly reduce the bread crumb topping which seems to make too much) and I use the cashew-tofu ricotta it calls for in all kinds of things. It's a really great alfredo replacement all by itself and it makes a great baked ziti (I would say ziti + cashew-tofu ricotta + jarred pasta sauce + buttery bread crumbs makes pretty much the best baked ziti I've ever had).

I can't figure out how eat the chickpea cutlets. They have a good texture, but no sauce I've tried them with tastes good - not even ketchup!

The chickpea-noodle soup is pretty good, too (minus mushrooms).

For some reason I've had a hard time getting into most of V'con. The recipes mostly seem too laborious or have too many ingredients (and sometimes difficult to find or expensive ingredients).
Ariann

Postby Dugan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 am

Roasted Fennel and Hazelnut Salad with Shallot Dressing p 86-7
Yumm!!! RnR called while planning his weekly grocery shop, I stumbled across this while trying to find a salad dressing recipe. We had everything but the shallots, fennel, and chicory which he was able to get. The fennel and shallots are roasted. I toasted hazelnuts at the same time. The fennel is tossed with the chicory, hazelnuts, and dried cranberries. The shallots go into a dressing with oil, vinegar, maple syrup, some herbs and a bit of spice. Since this will last us a few days, I packaged the cranberries and hazelnuts separately, and also the dressing. We can toss it as we're ready to eat. It was excellent - the sweet of the syrup offset the bitter chicory and tart cranberries. The hazelnuts gave it a nice crunch and the fennel added a spicy sort of flavor.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Tue May 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Curried Carrot Dip p 62
I made it for a houseful (a dozen or so) guests on Sunday. Alas, the recipe sounded much better than the result. It looked like a few people tried it. Even Caboodle doesn't like it.
Dugan

Next

Return to Cookbooks