Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar

Postby Dugan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:44 pm

In the oven right now are the Spiced Sweet Potato Blondies p 126-7. The batter was very thick and had to be spread in the pan, way too thick to pour. Turns out I was a little short on the sweet potato, but I was too lazy to cook another. The batter left in the bowl was good.

And please, chocolate chips (optional)? Seriously? What's optional about chocolate chips?! :laugh:
Dugan

Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar

Postby vegematic » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:55 am

[quote="Dugan";p=4279]

And please, chocolate chips (optional)? Seriously? What's optional about chocolate chips?! :laugh:

It's like when cookie recipes call for raisins...by "raisins" they meant "chocolate chips", right?
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby Dugan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:50 am

Mexican Chocolate Snicker Doodles.

I made 'em for RnR's last section of the Mid-State Trail today. DEE-lishus! They were definitely improved by sitting overnight in a covered container. They went from entirely crispy to mostly crispy with a slightly chewy middle. Everyone liked them except RnR. :( A little too much cayenne for his taste.

I subbed hazelnut extract for the chocolate extract that I didn't have. I thought about almond instead, but I prefer the hazelnut flavoring to the almond, soooo....

If I made them again, I'd halve the cayenne, sub extra vanilla, and mix in or top with crushed toasted almonds.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Banana Everything Cookies

Mixed using the stand mixer. I didn't bother pre-mashing the banana. The mixer did a fairly good job of doing that. We made a double recipe. Instead of 1C walnuts and 1C chocolate chips, we used 1C walnuts, and 1/2 C each of chocolate chips and unsweetened flaked coconut. Also, we didn't have white sugar so I used brown. The flour was a pastry whole wheat.

The recipe says to shape them into balls slightly smaller than golf balls, then flatten slightly and put on the pan. They are way too sticky to do this. We're dropping them onto the pan in walnut size pieces and not flattening. I'm finding the bake time is about 14 minutes, rather than the 10-12. However, my cookie pans are the insulated kind and they usually make cookies take a little longer.

The first pan came out a few minutes ago so we *had* to taste test warm cookies. Very good!
Dugan

Postby vegematic » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:46 pm

I love that recipe when I have a gnarly looking banana. I also end up dropping them onto the pan, the batter is too wet for rolling.
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby Dugan » Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Roasted Almond Cookies with Fleur de Sel

Underwhelming. I'm baking them now and regret having doubled the recipe. Sprinkling the tops with salt as opposed to having salt in the cookie is a waste of effort since, looks-wise, the salt isn't visible after baking. I'm about to mix a little coconut into the remaining dough.
Dugan

Return to Cookbooks