Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Vegan Pie In The Sky

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky

Postby gladcow » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:56 am

powdered agar is usually easy to find at Asian stores, if you have any near you, vegematic
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Dugan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:21 pm

You can use flakes too, but they take longer to dissolve.
Dugan

Postby gladcow » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:39 pm

and the conversion is weird, iirc. like 1t pwd = 1T flakes?
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegematic » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:06 pm

I found the conversion, but Isa insists that the flakes will not perform adequately. Only the powder will do, says she. I couldn't find the powder at Whole Foods yesterday so I suppose I'll just order some.
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby Dugan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:41 am

Oh, I missed that. Good luck finding some.

We made the banana cheesecake this weekend, except with the almond crust. It was very good! The recipe said it froze well, so we cut the excess into slices and froze them.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:43 am

[quote="gladcow";p=5146]and the conversion is weird, iirc. like 1t pwd = 1T flakes?

We need to restart the Ask Gladcow thread!
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 pm

We made the Coconut Cream Pie from p 108 this weekend. I used the Almond Crust on p 52 and topped it with the quick ganache from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. It was very good!

About the agar, since I don't have, and can't find, agar powder, I used agar flakes. I got the proportion from the Boston Cream cupcakes in Vegan Cupcakes. Both the Coconut Cream Pie and Boston Cream cupcakes called for 1/2 t agar powder. The latter said that 1.5 t agar flakes could be subbed, but to soak them in the liquid for 10 minutes. I did, but it still took a lot more simmering for them to dissolve. If I sub flakes for powder again, I'll try to get them soaking a few hours ahead of time (perhaps measure them into the liquid and toss it in the 'fridge for a few hours). The pie set just fine, it wasn't at all runny. Also, the texture of the cream filling prior to adding the coconut was smooth and creamy. So, subbing flakes for powder worked for me.

eta: I just noticed that the proportion I used in subbing flakes for powder works out to the same 1:3 ratio of powder:flakes as Gladcow noted above.

Dugan

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:54 pm

I can send agar powder to anyone, for cheap. A $2 packet can go in a regular envelope with a 45cent stamp, I'm pretty sure.
Miso Vegan

Previous

Return to Cookbooks