Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Read any good cookbooks lately?

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Read any good cookbooks lately?

Postby stegan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Re: Read any good cookbooks lately?

Postby stegan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:40 pm

So the girl got me Appetite for Reduction for Christmas, and I keep meaning to rave about it. We've been cooking out of it nearly constantly for the past couple of months, and the recipes are just fantastic. As with any cookbook, there are some typos, and a couple of moments where you might have to guess the intent of the instruction because it seems to be missing a step. But on a food quality level, no complaints at all. And the nutritional charts make me feel like I'm eating healthy. :)

I would also totally recommend this to non-veg peeps. Aside from a few tofu and tempeh recipes, there's not an intimidating thing in here.

Some of my fave recipes so far have been:
Potato-Spinach Curry
Lentil & Eggplant Chili Mole
Veggie Potpie Stew (holycrap is this good)
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby Shiva » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:43 pm

...don't you mean "peops?"

Thanks for the recommendation. I almost bought that one the other day. Now I'll have to actually buy it!
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby debiguity » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:20 pm

I've been using Caribbean Vegan quite a bit lately, and I've really enjoyed it. At first you might need to make the bajan seasoning or bajan hot sauce, or other things like that, as they're used quite a bit in most of her recipes, and that's the kind of thing that often stops me from bothering...but with this cookbook I made that (small!) effort, and I've been very happy that I did so. Even the dishes that I'd think would be hard to make different, like pasta with red sauce, are actually different and interesting when made with the caribbean flavors!

You can find some of her recipes on her website: http://caribbeanvegan.wordpress.com/

Other cookbooks I've been using lately include Color Me Vegan, 500 Vegan Recipes (though really just a few of the dessert recipes!), and Vegan Cookie Connoiseur (http://vegancookies.wordpress.com/). I have more cookbooks than I can possibly cook with, and I tend to spend time with one and then move on to another - not many repeated recipes for me! Except for desserts - those tend to get repeated...
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby zombiesam » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Steve, I second your recommendation of Appetite for Reduction (I just made a killer quinoa & chickpea salad from there) and I'd like to add a rec for Vegan with a Vengeance, which was my very first vegan cookbook, also written by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
zombiesam

Postby Miso Vegan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 pm

I've been hearing great things about Appetite...!

debiguity, who wrote Caribbean Vegan?
Miso Vegan

Postby Shiva » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 am

I created a "Cookbooks" Forum and moved this thread here. :)
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby debiguity » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Miso Vegan wrote:debiguity, who wrote Caribbean Vegan?

Taymer Mason is the author. You can also find her on twitter = @veganinthesun
debiguity

Twitter handle: debiguity

Postby carnelian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:13 am

Yesterday I purchased Everything Vegan by Vegetarian Times. Reading vegan cookbooks is one of my favorite leisure activities, and I haven't yet had the opportunity to explore this one much, but a few recipes that sound/look good are: Roasted Asparagus Tapenade, Rich and Creamy Eggnog, Baked Leek and Sweet Potato Gratin, Pho, Sunset Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits, and Glazed Chocolate-Avocado Cupcakes.
carnelian

Postby vegankitty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 am

I third Appetite for Reduction. On a different forum we're doing a cook from a cookbook for a week thing and that was the first book. I believe they are doing the same thing on the PPK.

I just got Carribean Vegan! I looked at it at B&N and it looked really good so I ordered it.

This week we're cooking from The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein. I love her books! Her recipes are easy but flavorful. I don't think I've made anythingh I haven't liked from her books.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Next

Return to Cookbooks