Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Ultimate Uncheeze

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Ultimate Uncheeze

Postby Dugan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 am

By Jo Stepaniak, link to Amazon

This is one we refer to semi-regularly. Not our favorite, but used too often to consider parting with. Some of our favorites are the Parmezano Sprinkles (especially on popcorn), Baked Shells, and one of the fondue sauces, I can't remember which.

In searching for an easy appetizer to be put for a houseful of guests on Saturday, I flipped through several books only to stumble across the Crock Cheeze in this book. It's supposed to sit overnight so we made it tonight and tasted it anyway. A wee bit too salty but otherwise good.

I keep wanting to try some of the block cheezes but those seem somehow more intimidating. Has anyone tried to make those?
Dugan

Re: Ultimate Uncheeze

Postby gladcow » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 pm

we used to make the block cheezes on the regular. as long as you get the agar dissolved in the boiling water really well, the rest is quite easy, and sets up fast. the texture is much like vegan gourmet.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Emiloid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:24 pm

I make the block cheezes almost exclusively. I don't have a super-powered food processor, so my only gripe is that they usually have a texture that isn't very cheese-like when they're firm. I love them, but they won't fool any omnis. They may be more smoother and more like dairy cheese if you have an awesome food processor. Also, when melted they are really cheese-like and creamy!

I've liked all of the ones I tried, but my favorites are the Swizz, Garbanzo Gruyere, and Colby. The Betta Fetta is great, but more time-consuming than I usually want to deal with. I have to admit, I usually make a cheeze based on whether I have the ingredients, rather than because I feel like having a certain flavor!

Also, if you can only find agar powder (instead of flakes), use 1/3 the amount called for. Most of the recipes call for tablespoons of agar flakes, so it's an easy conversion (since 1T = 3tsp).
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby vegankitty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:44 am

I find agar powder dissolves better too.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Emiloid » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Good point, VK!
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Return to Cookbooks