Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Artisan Vegan Cheese

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Artisan Vegan Cheese

Postby Dugan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Link to book on Amazon

Has anyone tried this yet? I heard about it recently from someone who hasn't used it much yet. I was disappointed to see the reviews on Amazon were pretty mixed.
Dugan

Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese

Postby quagga » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:43 am

There's been quite a lot of activity on the Artisan Vegan Cheese cookbook thread over at PPK. The author, Miyoko Schinner, has been known to pop in and comment as well. I think a lot of people had success and enjoyed the cheese they made.
LINK: http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20410
quagga

Postby Shiva » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:22 am

I snagged this book almost as soon as it came out, and I have done fuck-all with it. :embar:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby quagga » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:55 am

Well, you have to wonder when a recipe calls for rejuvelac....

Maybe you'd be interested in a Sonoma vegan cheese and wine tour? It's too spendy, though, in my opinion, and I don't drink, but still.... Miyoko Schinner herself is making the cheeses for this event.

https://www.purplepass.com/#2207/Karine ... -2013.html
quagga

Postby Dugan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:27 am

quagga wrote:Well, you have to wonder when a recipe calls for rejuvelac....

What's up with rejuvelac? I've never had it but it sounds kinda good.
Dugan

Postby quagga » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:10 am

Rejuvelac sounds like a fermented gross foamy mess; it doesn't sound good at all to me (and I've made my own kombucha, captured and cultivated my own wild yeast, and make my own yogurt).

I have no idea how you can assure quality or consistency with the process described below. You're basically capturing whatever happens to enjoy growing on sprouted wheat germ, which could be goodness knows what depending on temperature, humidity, chance. My understanding is that it probably captures a lot of acidophilus, but how do you KNOW???? The bottled rejuvelac that they sell at the health food store reminds me of egg whites.

Yes, I'm incredibly biased about this stuff, AND to tell you the truth, one day I might be motivated enough to try making it myself just so I can make one of Miyoko's recipes--she is a fabulously meticulous vegan chef, so I actually do trust her.

Example rejuvelac "recipe" copied randomly from the internet:

Place wheat berries in a 2-quart glass jar. Fill with water and cover top with cheesecloth held in place by a rubber band. Soak at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours. Drain through the cheesecloth, rinse and drain again. Place jar at an angle and leave for 2 days, rinsing two to three times per day, while the berries begin to sprout. After 2 days, rinse thoroughly and fill jar with water. Soak 48 hours. Pour off the rejuvelac and store in a glass container in the refrigerator. A layer of white foam may form at the top, which should be gently lifted off with a spoon.
quagga

Postby Dugan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:38 pm

After asking, I googled, and came away with many of the concerns you've listed. I found a couple of studies that showed more often than not the end product is contaminated. I found many, many comments about how one can smell if it is good or bad or contaminated - absolutely untrue. Maybe sometimes, but not consistently and not every time.

It's enough to quell my curiosity and like you, I've made yogurt and am experienced with fermentation in other ways as well.
Dugan

Postby quagga » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Here is the recipe for rejuvelac as written by Miyoko Schinner. Still basically the same thing, still grosses me out.

Rejuvelac
From Vegan Artisan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner

Makes about 5 cups.
1 C whole grains (such as brown rice, Kamut berries, millet, oat groats, quinoa, rye berries, wheat berries, or a combination)
6 C filtered water

1. Soak and sprout the grains
Put the grains in a 1-quart glass jar and add water to cover. Place a double layer of cheesecloth over the mouth of the jar and secure with a rubber band. Let the grains soak for 8-12 hours. Drain, then add just enough water to moisten the grains but not so much that they are immersed in water. Put the jar in a warm place out of direct sunlight for 1-3 days and rinse the grains once or twice each day, each time draining well and then adding just enough fresh water to moisten them. Continue this process until the grains have begun to sprout (they will have little tails emerging).

2. Culture the rejuvelac.
Divide the sprouted grains equally between two 1-quart glass jars. Pour 3 cups of the filtered water into each jar. Cover each jar with fresh cheesecloth and secure it with rubber bands. Put the jars in a warm place out of direct sunlight for 1-3 days. The water will turn cloudy and white, and the liquid will have a slightly tart flavor, somewhat like lemon juice. Strain the liquid into clean glass jars and discard the grains.

Storage Notes: Covered and stored in the refrigerator, Rejuvelac will keep for about 4 weeks.
quagga

Postby gladcow » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:22 pm

My husb was mostly raw for over a year. I did most of the uncooking. NEVER made rejuvelac. For ALL the reasons quagga gave. :yuck:
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby quagga » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:51 am

This is Camembert made by Miyoko Schinner, which I stole from her Facebook feed. I presume it starts with rejuvelac...but my goodness -- look at it! It's amazing. It is a new technique, not in her book. She writes that it's rather involved...
Attachments
MiyokoSchinner_moldripenedCamembert.jpg
MiyokoSchinner_moldripenedCamembert.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 4927 times
quagga

Next

Return to Cookbooks