Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Artisan Vegan Cheese

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese

Postby Emiloid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 am

I doubt it could be that dangerous, but then again there's no reason anyone has to use it. I think if you're not comfortable with a food (or process) that's a good reason to stay away from it.

It doesn't seem like there's a lot of info out there about what it means for rejuvelac to go bad... like what exactly is the problem? Is it actually dangerous, or does it make your tummy upset, or is it just unpleasant tasting? I didn't find any stories of anyone getting sick from it, but then there are all these warnings not to consume it if it seems to be "off".

BTW, I haven't been able to find it for sale either, and I even looked in several areas outside of Chico (on a business trip). I wish I could try it so I'd know what "good" rejuvelac tastes and smells like! The one batch I made was not appealing, but didn't smell "off"... and I think I have a pretty good nose for things going bad.

OK.. that was a long babble. Carry on!

PS: I still have the "cheese" I made, and it tastes better than before. Still not that great... it mostly tastes like tangy cashew paste!
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby quagga » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Someone in FB world used water-based kefir instead of rejuvelac.
This was the brand she used: http://www.inner-eco.com/

Someone tried using homemade sauerkraut brine in place of rejuvelac and though it worked and the cheese set up, it didn't taste good in the end.

Aside from being grossed out by rejuvelac, I think that I'm concerned about consistency -- maybe Em's cheese didn't turn out super great because the bacteria and yeasts that she captured in her batch of rejuvelac weren't the right kind or weren't in the right proportions? I'd say that there isn't much information on how rejuvelac can go bad, and maybe not much hard info on how rejuvelac can go good, in terms of making good-tasting cheese.

I dunno. I'm getting used to the idea of rejuvelac and more curious about making my own cultured cheese, not for my own sake (because I never cared for fancy cheese all that much), but simply so I can tell a vegan wannabe that it is possible and that it tastes good.
quagga

Postby gladcow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 pm

my friend (and yours!) Pilar has made water kefir. I should tell her about this.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Ariann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:48 am

Well my fears about it going off are the same as for sprouting, because you use the same kinds of starter grains. Sprouts can kill you dead if there are bacteria in the grains. And they taste totally fine while they're doing it.
Ariann

Postby quagga » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:18 am

Welp. I am currently at step one of making...rejuvelac. Wish me luck.

I had some Kite Hill vegan cultured cheese a while back and really liked it, so I would like to see what I can do on my own. Kite Hill is good, but a little on the spendy side. We shall see.
quagga

Postby quagga » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:30 am

I think these variations are weird and/or amazing. Champagne? Wine?

Popular Rejuvelac Variations
Champagne rejuvelac is prepared by using millet grains. The grains are sprouted for a day or two and then lightly bruised. These bruised grains are then soaked with one tablespoon of raisins. The mixture is allowed to ferment for 2-3 days. The mixture has to be tightly covered during the fermentation process to produce the bubbly effect of champagne.
Rejuvelac wines are made by combining different types of grains with raisins and spices. For example, sassafras rejuvelac wine is made by fermenting sprouted wheat berries, organic raisins and sassafras bark. Rejuvelac Bordeaux wine is made by soaking wheat berries, organic raisins, and licorice sticks together.
Vegetable rejuvelac is made by soaking chopped vegetables like green or purple cabbage or carrots in water.

http://www.ifood.tv/network/rejuvelac
quagga

Postby Emiloid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:13 am

^ Sounds weird! (Yet intriguing...)
How did your rejuvelac turn out?
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby quagga » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 pm

I guess it turned out okay enough. I made some of the basic cashew cheese out of it, and lo and behold, Mr Q really liked it on crackers. It's hard to tell whether he likes the crackers or the cheese more, though.

I took one container of rejuvelac that had been refrigerated for a few days and left it out at room temperature so I could see how biologically active it was. It definitely was still doing something, since it changed color, but it didn't get stinky or gross or anything.

I think I might move on and try some of the other cheeses, but maybe not, since they involve adding a lot of oil and I'm kind of enjoying the good-enough flavor without the added fat.

I also made AVC cream cheese, which also turned out ok-ish. I gave a sample to Emiloid and Spas, so maybe we'll get some feedback from them. I don't know if I'd make it again. It has a great texture and an ok-ish flavor, and has a much better nutritional profile than tofutti cream cheese and can probably be used in the same kinds of sweetened frosting applications.
quagga

Postby Emiloid » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:34 pm

I tried the amazake you gave us (in a hot beverage form), and I really liked it. I think spas would have enjoyed it more if I'd filtered out the pieces.... :razz: I thought it was really good! I heated it with some water and put a little grated ginger in each mug, like I saw in a recipe online.

I'll try the creame cheeze today. I keep forgetting. Bad Em! :embar: :worried: :nice:
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Emiloid » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 pm

OK! We tried the creame cheeze and it is really good! Like you said (in person), it's not exactly like other cream cheese... to me it seems like a cross between sour cream and cream cheese. Still, it was tasty on toast. I'm looking forward to eating the rest of it. :) Thanks, quagga!
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

PreviousNext

Return to Cookbooks