Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Artisan Vegan Cheese

I've got a ton of cookbooks. You've got a ton of cookbooks. Other people are constantly looking for cookbooks. Let us, as they say, dish about cookbooks!

Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese

Postby quagga » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:33 am

I'm so glad it worked out!

I made the amazake with sweet brown rice, so it was definitely more fiber-full than the traditional amazake, which is usually made with white rice. I had mine cold, but now I'll go ahead and try it hot.
quagga

Postby Ariann » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:03 am

I am taking the plunge!!! There is rejuvelac clouding it up on my counter. I did two things against instructions: am using Nalgene bottles instead of glass jars (what's so special about glass?) and did not use filtered water (because whatever).

I am hoping to serve brie en croute at Thanksgiving to the oohs and ahs of my extended family.
Ariann

Postby quagga » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 am

I used one of my glass sprouting mason jars for the initial step of germinating the seeds (I used wheat berries) because I have a little strainer on the top that makes it easy to change out the water, and then I used regular plastic quart-size to-go containers to let it finish fermenting. I figured it's food-safe and non-reactive, which is all that should be needed.

I have a water filter on my sink, so I used that. I imagine there might be *some* issues if your water is chlorinated -- you're trying to grow bacteria and the chlorine would inhibit that. We're on well water here, so I don't have that worry ever.

Good luck! I hope the brie en croute works. I've made a few batches of cheese, including one air-dried type. Mr Q did not care for the air-dried one, but really liked the sun-dried tomato and basil cheese. I have a batch of basic cashew cheese in the fridge right now that is awaiting enhancement.

Good luck with your cheese endeavor Ariann!
quagga

Postby Ariann » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:34 am

The rejuvelac looks the way the book says it is supposed to look and it smells tangy, so I am assuming it is good to go.

I also made yogurt today, which thickened up beautifully and smells the way yogurt is supposed to smell. It doesn't taste like much of anything, but I only had a little taste because I have kind of a yogurt aversion, so who knows. It looked and smelled right, so I am counting that as a win. I need a cup for the Brie and maybe I will turn the rest into yogurt cheese, which I do generally like.

Cashews are soaking for the next step! The Brie en croute requires the air dried Brie, and the recipe looks really good, so hopefully it will be great, or the puff pastry and fruit and nuts will cover up any blah-ness.
Ariann

Postby Ariann » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:35 am

Our water doesn't smell like chlorine, but I imagine there must be a little bit in there. Our water tastes good, though, so I am ok with its flavor in the final product.
Ariann

Previous

Return to Cookbooks