Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Heartworm Medication:whatcha using?

Welcome to the Vegan Ethos Vegan Canine Nutrition Forum! This forum is for folks who have canine companions that are on a vegan diet, or who would like to transition their canine companions to a vegan diet. This forum is NOT the place to debate or challenge the ethics of a vegan diet for dogs. VErf welcomes all vegans and their dogs with open arms and open minds.

Re: Heartworm Medication:whatcha using?

Postby downwithapathy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:56 am

The Ohio valley is swimming in mosquitoes and I know heartworm positive dogs have shown up in our local shelter, but now I'm super-envious!

I just looked up Trifexis. It looks like it's something like Comfortis and Interceptor combined into a single pill. :)
downwithapathy

Postby vegankitty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:56 am

I've heard heartworm medication is pretty toxic. Anyone know anything about that?
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Sun May 01, 2011 1:24 am

We use Heartgard, which uses Ivermectin as an active ingredient. It was maybe 4-5 years ago that vets in the region transitioned from recommending it 6-9 months to year round.

I can't speak to its toxicity, but I do know it's a darn sight better than a heartworm infestation. Untreated, a heartworm infestation will lead to permanent heart damage and can cause death. Treatment isn't easy either, and requires arsenic based drugs. I am not willing to take that kind of risk with "gentle" "herbal" products that don't have the proven safety and efficacy of something like Heartgard.
Dugan

Postby Lolamako » Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 am

I made an appointment with the vet I usually take my cats too, for Rosie to get tested and get medication. I didn't even think to ask if the $49 test inculded the office visit. It didn't :( so I cancelled. I guess I'm just going to keep an eye out for those "free heartworm test with purchase of X months worth of medication" deals....

I don't know how accurate this map is, but it definitely lit a fire under me.

http://www.dogsandticks.com/NA-map-lyme-disease-dogs/
Lolamako

Postby freespiritanimallove » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:31 pm

My area of California used to be heartworm free, but my vet recently mentioned they've been seeing cases lately. *sigh* Thanks for this thread. I honestly don't know anything about heartworm prevention since I've never had to think about it before. Thankfully though we only see misquitos in summer so I'd probably only need to use it for 3 months or so.
freespiritanimallove

Postby freespiritanimallove » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Oh jeeze, I just looked at that map Lolamako and all of California is dark red! Yikes!!
freespiritanimallove

Previous

Return to Vegan Dogs Forum