Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Homemade ideas for vegan flirt dogs

Welcome to the Vegan Ethos Vegan Canine Nutrition Forum! This forum is for folks who have canine companions that are on a vegan diet, or who would like to transition their canine companions to a vegan diet. This forum is NOT the place to debate or challenge the ethics of a vegan diet for dogs. VErf welcomes all vegans and their dogs with open arms and open minds.

Homemade ideas for vegan flirt dogs

Postby Evelina » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:02 am

hi everyone

I have two much beloved dogs, Diana, a 10 years old mixed breed (half Pomeranien) who looks like a little Golden Retriever (she weights about 11 kg) and Lola, a 9 years old, standard size, black and tan, short-haired Dachshund. I’m trying to introduce some vegan food in their homemade diet.

I know they won’t become vegan or vegetarian as we live with three omnivorous people – my parents and sister but I like to help them develop a taste for vegan foods and to give them some vegan meals.
For example, I add veggies to their food, vary their grain (my mother always gives them rice, I use quinoa, bulgur, oat etc), give them veggie burger and sometimes mix them vegan kibbles with their usual meals, but they have always eat homemade food, so I’m looking for homemade vegan recipes for them, or for other tips to vary their diet witohut using animal by products.

Any idea, something approved by your dogs?
Evelina

Re: Homemade ideas for vegan flirt dogs

Postby Miso Vegan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Lentils!
Miso Vegan

Postby flower » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Most dogs love pumpkin, and it's really good for them. If you mix things in with it, it's a perfect carrier to get dogs to eat something that they might otherwise snub.
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Postby Shiva » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Try experimenting when you are preparing food for yourself. Give them bits of single ingredients, like veggies that you are chopping. You may find some surprises. You may also end up with dogs that come running whenever they hear the sound of the knife on the cutting board. :uhoh: :D
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby flower » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:13 pm

[quote="Shiva";p=2141]You may also end up with dogs that come running whenever they hear the sound of the knife on the cutting board. :uhoh: :D

That would be us! :blush:

For things your pups might not like so much, try offering it to them dipped in nutritional yeast or with a few drops of liquid smoke. Most dogs can't resist those two things. Rowan, for example, won't eat plain cauliflower, but she loves it with a little bit of nutritional yeast on it.
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Postby Dugan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Ditto, and garlic or garlic powder usually works as well as nooch
Dugan

Postby gladcow » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

my dogs love pb, carrots, broccoli stems, lentils/beans
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Evelina » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 pm

thank you everyone, I'll follow your suggestions and let you know.

Diana has always liked fruit and vegetable, and I noticed that since I'm vegan (2 years after more than 6 years of vegetarianism) Lola has slowly become much less picky and now she enjoys scraps from my plate too!
Evelina

Postby panthera » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

I was wondering what "vegan flirt dogs" were. Dogs who get passers-by to flirt w/their humans who are vegan? oh, dogs flirting with veganism...
panthera

Postby Lolamako » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah, I didn't get the title either... confused! But anyways, have you checked out Flower's site yet?? It's amazing! http://www.veganflower.com/ I think it's the best Vegan dog recipe site on the internets :D
Lolamako

Next

Return to Vegan Dogs Forum