Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Heartworm Medication:whatcha using?

Welcome to the Vegan Ethos Vegan Canine Nutrition Forum! This forum is for folks who have canine companions that are on a vegan diet, or who would like to transition their canine companions to a vegan diet. This forum is NOT the place to debate or challenge the ethics of a vegan diet for dogs. VErf welcomes all vegans and their dogs with open arms and open minds.

Heartworm Medication:whatcha using?

Postby Lolamako » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Title sums it up! I want to know what you guys use. I feel conflicted on medicating my pups forvever but I know they need it. So maybe just hearing what everyone is using, and if they like it, will help me get over my fear.

I guess this came up again for me, well was brought to my attention again, when I got a coupon/add thingy for Trifexis.

I'd like to be able to take my pups out at dusk....
Lolamako

Re: Heartworm Medication:whatcha using?

Postby flower » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 am

This is something I've struggled with. We give Emma & Rowan Heartguard, which is obviously not vegan, but only June through November. I keep thinking about trying this, but I'm hesitant because what if it doesn't work? I don't want to risk them getting heartworm and see the meds as a necessity.
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Postby downwithapathy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:28 pm

I give my girls Interceptor, only because that's what their vet sells.

Zoe's vet in WI was very much of the mindset that fewer chemicals/medications=ideal. Most vets (who go with Merial products) seem to sell Heartgard PLUS and Frontline PLUS, for example. That guy went with the more minimal Frontline and Heartgard (not PLUS) products. Zoe was on bare bones Heartgard in our WI days. Of course we're in a different climate now.

Neither dog has ever had a noticeable adverse reaction to either product, and neither dog has ever tested heartworm positive (I have both tested annually).

Parasite prevention is VERY important.
downwithapathy

Postby Lolamako » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Flower, that herbal stuff looks interesting, but sounds expensive for large dogs... I also have my typical doubts about it...I might end up just going with the bare bones Heartguard. It's a bummer to have to medicate them, but not worth the risk letting them go without protection any longer.
Lolamako

Postby vegankitty » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:23 pm

I don't do heartworm preventative year round. I do interceptor which is what the low cost vet clinic sells. I also use frontline spring, summer and fall.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby bluedawg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:41 am

we use interceptor year round, and frontline from about april until october.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby downwithapathy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 am

I don't use preventives year round. Zoe's former vet suggested preventive be used 8 months of the year (in the northern Midwestern climate in which he practices), but I'm toying with the idea of year round Interceptor.

I also have to deal with the fact that one of my dogs is a poo eater (possible risk factor for other parasites), which is one reason why I don't feel inclined to go back to bare bones. Gross, right? :)
downwithapathy

Postby downwithapathy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:15 am

Hey Lolamako! It occurs to me that that there are topicals that prevent both fleas and heartworms. Revolution appears to have a single active ingredient (selamectin) that prevents both fleas and heartworms. Apparently, selamectin is a close relative to ivermectin (the active ingredient in Heartgard). I don't know much at this point, but I wonder if that might be... gentler than giving ivermectin for heartworm prevention AND something else separately for flea/tick control.
downwithapathy

Postby flower » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm

There's a new one out called Trifexis, which prevents heartworm, kills fleas and controls other worms. Anyone heard of it before?
flower

Twitter handle: veganflower

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 pm

There are parts of the PNW that are heartworm-free.* I live in one. I was really surprised when I learned this, after decades of dog guardianship and using heartworm preventives..

Anyone else live in a heartworm-free area?

*Mosquito season is blessedly short.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Next

Return to Vegan Dogs Forum