Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Advice on re-homing cats

Advice on re-homing cats

Postby panthera » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:10 pm

My friend cares for 6 cats, 3 original ones, and 3 rescued as kittens from Hurricane Katrina. She can no longer afford to live in a two-bedroom unit, caring for 6 cats. The only solution she can see is re-homing the Katrina cats. Having a human roommate doesn't work well for her, especially since she has to separate the Katrina cats from the others. A one-bedroom place would make separating the cats a nightmare, especially with cardiomyopathy in one and diabetes in another.

We've come up with: posting on Petfinder; flyers in vet hospitals; posting on craigslist in a way that ensures the home will actually be a wonderful home; networking w/her life-coaching clients; networking in the local vegan community.

Advice, especially considering that anyone who likes cats already usually has too many?

She's very worried about this, feels very guilty for abandoning them and sad at the thought of losing their bond. They're very very shy; they'll still run from her if she makes sudden movements, even after 6 yrs together. But if she calls them when it's quiet, they'll climb onto her lap (individually) and purr & knead. :heartbreak:
Last edited by panthera on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panthera

Re: Advice on re-homing cats

Postby panthera » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:15 pm

In order to be sure that they'd receive vet care if they needed it, she'd offer to help out w/those costs. Or if the people seem really devoted but worried about finances, maybe pay for food & litter for 6 months. And she would drive anywhere in order to transport them to the perfect home.

Two of them really should go together; they're very bonded w/each other. She wants to find perfect homes for them all.
panthera

Postby bluedawg » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:22 pm

awww, i'm sorry about your friend, this sounds tough. are there any really good cat rescues in your area that might be able to help her out? sometimes they have more resources/network contacts.
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby quagga » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:33 am

Does she have to separate the cats further than katrina/not katrina because of food issues? Or because of personality issues being unavoidable in a smaller space?

If it because of food issues, I just want to toss out there that I am experimenting with using a keyed cat flap on a large plastic storage tub to allow one of my cats to free feed on her kibble while at the same time keeping her roommate cat on a separate special diet and feeding schedule.

Otherwise, I'm sorry, I don't have any better advice on rehoming. The shy ones sound like you'd have to be very careful when placing. I have seen rehoming posts on Meetup.com sites and animal righs listservs, as well as on Facebook, so maybe those are options, too.

I guess she'd want to have some kind of adoption agreement, so that if things don't work out, the kitties come back to her instead of going to a shelter.
quagga

Postby panthera » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:50 am

bluedawg, we do have two no-kill shelters in the area. One of them is a no-kill cageless shelter for injured, abandoned cats. I just figured they are up to their ears in people asking about how to get homes for cats. I guess it wouldn't hurt, though. Quagga, one of her original cats is on a high-protein diet and all of the diets are very strictly regulated. One of the Katrina cats & one of the original cats are pretty aggressive towards each other. I think six cats would also make it more difficult to see clients in her home. And there is still the cost factor. Maybe she needs to separate the key factors, and make a decision based on them, instead of considering all of the possible ramifications.

The greater difficulty in seeing clients, for example, is probably solvable somehow. But yes, I'm sure she would make it absolutely clear that they not go to a shelter.

Thanks for the thoughts!

btw, how does this keyed flap work, does one cat have a special collar on?
panthera

Postby quagga » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes and no. Some cat flaps use a magnetic key that goes on the collar. It pulls open a little switch that opens the door. Then there is another type of flap that senses the cat's microchip and opens from that, so no collar is required. The magnetic cat flap is ~$40-$60; the microchip one is ~$160 (brand name Sureflap).
quagga

Postby panthera » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 am

Wow! A little sadly, it reminds me of automatic sow feeding machines. Diets are doled out by collar-sensing equipment. Apparently some sows use stray collars that someone else has lost and shove them under the sensor to get extra food!
panthera

Postby quagga » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Well the cat I am trying to get used to this system is no sow! She actually has a poor appetite, so I'm hoping that this will help her eat more.
quagga

Postby vegankitty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:58 am

One of my fosters is going to be hard to place. Well, three since two have chronic illnesses but this one has behavioral issues. He needs to go to a home that is cat savvy because his behavior changes from nice cat to hellion in a few seconds so you REALLY need to know catspeak. He also likes to give love bites and then lick you. He might be going elsewhere Sunday because he hates Bonnie and attacked her (he was cornered but not on purpose-poor Bonnie wouldn't walk past him she was so scared.)
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby panthera » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:22 pm

So how do you keep finding homes? Is it just that people who are willing to adopt come and seek out the shelter? As well as general networking, of course.

Karma was pretty easily overstimulated. She would rub up against someone and let them get in a few pets, then scratch them w/very little warning. I had a good sense of her, having raised her from kittenhood, but she still got me, sometimes. People told me that Goldy was like that, too, but he's not, really. I'm still amazed when I can pet Goldy for as long as I do. I'm going to lose my sixth sense of overstimmed cat, soon! :uhoh:
panthera

Next

Return to Rescue, Adoption, Placement, and Fostering Resources