Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

introducing your new dog to other dogs

introducing your new dog to other dogs

Postby matryoshka » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:33 pm

i mentioned a couple weeks ago that i was thinking of adopting a dog as an emotional support animal.. and since then things fell into place and i adopted a little chihuahua mix named lacey! i brought her home (to my parents' house) yesterday. she is a very calm girl but has some issues meeting new dogs. her foster told me that on walks she will growl at other dogs but once she sees that they're okay she stops and will get along just fine with them (or maybe ignore them, even). i saw that happen as she interacted with other dogs when we picked her up. her foster also said that she got along very well with their own two dogs at home.
my parents have two dogs, luna and kenai, a boston terrier and a bullmastiff. kenai will bark at new dogs but eventually settles down once he sees that they're okay, just like lacey. but, he is big and loud which scares lacey, and when she sees him (they have seen each other threw the door between the backyard and inside of the house) she growls and snarls at him, more so than with luna or the dogs at the rescue. luna is a dominant little girl, but didn't show any aggression toward lacey until lacey growled at her-- they started to fight and we had to drag them away from each other.
i am fairly familiar with the process of introducing new dogs into your home but i'm not sure how well the strategies are working (introducing them one at a time to the new dog, taking them to a neutral location). my mom and i are going to try walking lacey and luna more today to see how things go. depending on how that goes, we'll take kenai out too. for now we are just keeping them in separate rooms. any suggestions on how to let them become familiar with each other?
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Re: introducing your new dog to other dogs

Postby Shiva » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Congratulations on the new family member! :)

Is it possible to keep them separated with a toddler gate, so that they can become accustomed to seeing/hearing/smelling each other without being able to fight? That's where I'd start - and I'd do tons of rewarding for any calm, quiet behavior and redirect any aggressive noises and posturing.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby quagga » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Ah. That's the nice thing about dogs. You can keep them separated by a mere toddler gate. If only it were so easy with the kitties. \ot

Good luck with the integration!
quagga

Postby matryoshka » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 am

thanks guys! shiva, we are trying that now. we also took luna and lacey on a walk yesterday and they did so well but as soon as we got to the house they started to get snappy again. we are continuing to let them see each other through the back door and it seems to be going pretty well.
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Return to Rescue, Adoption, Placement, and Fostering Resources