Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

eReaders and eBooks

Re: eReaders and eBooks

Postby bluedawg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:46 pm

i really, really love reading books on my iPad. i've also been reading pdfs on it (journal articles for my grad class), and that's great, too. i use goodreader for the pdfs and can annotate, yay!
bluedawg

Twitter handle: @veganchai

Postby vegematic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 pm

[quote="gladcow";p=1443]we flirted with a literati e reader. we caressed it in the store, scanned the bar code and found the price enticing, took it with us on some other errands, and then returned it. The reviews made me think I would regret it. Sadface, cuz I wannnnnnna ereader.

I don't think I've heard of this reader. What appealed to you about it, besides the price?

I love (LOVE!) e-reading. I have no desire to read paper books ever again. Technology is way more fun.
I just walked. I was very happy.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby vegankitty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:13 am

Yeah, I hate when a book I want isn't available as an ebook.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Dugan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:09 am

[quote="bluedawg";p=1444]i really, really love reading books on my iPad. i've also been reading pdfs on it (journal articles for my grad class), and that's great, too. i use goodreader for the pdfs and can annotate, yay!

Ayep. Aside from textbooks and cookbooks I haven't picked up a paper book for months. Goodreader is great for pdf's! Sadly, the annotations do not carry out of goodreader to my (windows) laptop. I can get around that by printing them to OneNote, but then don't have the text search capability.
Dugan

Postby vegematic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:21 pm

[quote="vegematic";p=1264]

Does anyone know if it will convert a Kindle format to an ePub? There is a book I want and Kindle has by far the lowest price on it. I have the Kindle app for my iPod but I'd really rather view it on my Sony.

I have partially figured it out! I started with this blog:
http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/

Then I followed a link to [url]http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/hello-world/]here[/url] and then finally a third link to the [url]http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a0cecfba.html]tool that I downloaded[/url].

I downloaded it, read the readme.txt file and followed the simple instructions, then I opened Calibre imported the newly de-DRM'd file which appeared on my desktop.

It was pretty straightforward until I found that one of the Kindle books was Topaz format. Instead of just converting the input file it produced some .zip documents. So I browsed the first link where I found this:
"Amazon Topaz ebooks: Most Amazon Kindle ebooks are Mobipocket format ebooks. However, some are in a format known as Topaz. This AppleScript will remove the DRM from the Topaz files, but to allow the file to be converted into other formats, the Topaz format must be converted during the de-drming process. The end result is that you end up with three files from one Topaz format ebook. One is the text (& pictures) of the book in HTML format created from the OCR text that’s stored in the Topaz file. Another is a set of SVG page images which very closely resemble the pages of the book the Topaz file was created from. The last is a set of XML files which form the internal Topaz format. For most purposes, you’ll only need the HTML file, but if the OCR is poor, you might want to unzip the folder of SVG images to check the pages or convert them to an image based PDF file."

So I unzipped and used Calibre to import the html version and converted it to ePub for my Sony. But when I dumped it to my Sony only the first few pages showed up and then after that I got "Page Error". I was able to view it on Calibre, however...
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby gladcow » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:44 pm

[quote="vegematic";p=1446][quote="gladcow";p=1443]we flirted with a literati e reader. we caressed it in the store, scanned the bar code and found the price enticing, took it with us on some other errands, and then returned it. The reviews made me think I would regret it. Sadface, cuz I wannnnnnna ereader.

I don't think I've heard of this reader. What appealed to you about it, besides the price?

I love (LOVE!) e-reading. I have no desire to read paper books ever again. Technology is way more fun.

I liked the price the best. It was only $60! (which was a good $10 less than anywhere online) I figured for that price I could live with some slight issues. But, the screen is narrower than most e-readers yet the margins on the text are the same, so that seemed like an issue that would bug me. And I read a few reviews about issues connecting and downloading. The more I think about it, the more I think I want one that is just for reading. Or an iPad :p
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegankitty » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 pm

But the non Topaz books were okay? I hate when books are only available on Amazon. I actually don't mind the Kindle for Android app because the biggest text size is larger than the biggest on the Kindle for iPhone (at least the version I have-not sure if it's the most recent) and it bothers my eyes less.
vegankitty

Postby vegematic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 pm

I got the Topaz book to work. It's still a bit funky but it should be fine. I don't know what my error was, though. I deleted it from my device, from Calibre, and from my desktop (the stripped version). Then I put it through the de-DRM app again, brought it back into Calibre, and reconverted it and put it back on my device and it worked. I think there might be a bad page or two in the very beginning (before the toc) that was screwing it up. I got hung up there the first time and couldn't get out. The second time I jumped right to the toc and from there to the preface and it seems to be working.
-Bill Bryson.
vegematic

Postby Shiva » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I still :heart: my nook ereader. The wifi version is $149. I have the 3G one, and have no idea why I paid extra for that. :blank:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby vegankitty » Wed May 18, 2011 10:35 pm

I am really mad at Sony. My reader broke (well, Bonnie stepped on it). The guy gave me the choice of getting mine repaired or getting a new one. I chose a new one. It came today. It's silver. I got pink for a reason. I called and asked if I could send both back and get the pink fixed. No. I asked why not, since that was an option before and they would have the new (not really new but refurb) one back. The reason? I asked for a logical one, since I was just asking for what they offered in the first place and the first guy didn't tell me I wouldn't be getting the same color. They have fulfilled their contractual obligation and that's that. Yeah, but now I will never buy a sony product again. And I was about to buy a Sony camera.

Much as I hate Apple, they do have good customer service.
vegankitty

PreviousNext

Return to Nerd/Geek/Tech Talk