Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

eReaders and eBooks

Re: eReaders and eBooks

Postby Shiva » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 am

The page forward button on my Nook (original) cracked. The 1 year warranty includes "rapid replacement", i.e. they send you out a new one right away and then you send your broken one back to them using the shipping label they send you. :) Very easy, and took about 3 minutes on the phone to arrange.

I :heart: my Nook. If I were to buy an ereader today, I'd get the newest Nook, the Simple Touch.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby gladcow » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:14 pm

OH HAI I CAN HAS NOOKE READER!

I bought a gently used nook from a very good friend ( ;) ) and it came yesterday and I already wanna marry it!
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegankitty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:39 pm

I like my reader still- it literally fits in my pocket. I have a bulky cover now though as anti-vegankitty protection. I'm hard on electronics.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Yay, gladcow! I am so happy that you love it. :)

I do a little bit of reading on my phone, but I can't do that for long because my eyes are not up to it. The e-ink is so much nicer.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby gladcow » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:51 pm

the boy was WAI impressed with the e-ink. it was really cute. charming teens is hard!
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby vegankitty » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:15 am

Yeah I was getting headaches from reading on my phone. The eink is much easier on the eyes.
vegankitty

Postby downwithapathy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:56 am

I am sooooo getting an e-reader/tablet for myself this Christmas. The iPads I encounter at work are just way too tempting! Unfortunately, they're also way out of my price range. :( I'd like to stay at or below $200. Cheaper is better, but I don't want something that's so low quality that it isn't enjoyable to use.

Kindle Fire and NOOK Color are likely candidates at the top of my price range, but I'm not opposed to a buying a lesser known but not junky Android tablet from another manufacturer.

Does anyone have advice or mini reviews to share (with me and the world)? :)
downwithapathy

Postby vegankitty » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:39 am

I just ordered a Kindle Fire. I had a bunch of Amazon reward points so it cost me ~$100. I don't like Kindle drm protection but I can just buy through independent sellers and convert to the Kindle format. What I'm excited about is the free book I can borrow a month and free streaming video for Prime members.

I also wanted an iPad but couldn't justify the money. Really, I wouldn't even have bought the Fire if half wasn't paid for by points.
vegankitty

Postby downwithapathy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:55 pm

[quote="vegankitty";p=4962]I just ordered a Kindle Fire. I had a bunch of Amazon reward points so it cost me ~$100. I don't like Kindle drm protection but I can just buy through independent sellers and convert to the Kindle format. What I'm excited about is the free book I can borrow a month and free streaming video for Prime members.

This decision is driving me ka-ray-zee! Fire is the better device on paper (faster processor, mainly... but I can also buy the Color for $50 cheaper refurbished), but I wish I could find good side by side real life usage comparisons! All of the comparison reviews are Fire vs. nook tablet. I'm just not willing to pay over $200 at this point in my life. If not for the NOOK Color's existence, I would have just let device price be the deciding factor (Fire is $50 less than Tablet).

I really need to learn more about the different borrowing dealies and what each company has to offer in general. Google is not helping enough with this! I want to conveniently consume media now!
downwithapathy

Postby vegankitty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:46 pm

I got my Fire! I love it even though it is kind of redundant what with a smart phone and all. Of course bigger screen is easier on the eyes. Puzzle games I gaave up on on my phone I can now complete. But best is the free streaming media with Amazon Prime, something I split with my neighbor anyway.

Having said all that,if I hadn't had a lot of Amazon reward points, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. I'm sure it will make inhome pet sitting nicer.
vegankitty

PreviousNext

Return to Nerd/Geek/Tech Talk