Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Smartphone apps

Re: Smartphone apps

Postby Shiva » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 pm

Oh... was it a link to go and buy the app from iTunes? Hrm.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 am

Yup, it came up once. I followed it, saw that the app wasn't free, didn't get it, and haven't been presented with the suggestion since. Not at all obnoxious.
Dugan

Postby vegankitty » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:38 pm

I have had other forums do that-not this one though. It's more than I would spend on an app for something I can just do through the browser.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Okay. We aren't registered with the app yet (you can't complete the registration without a logo :/ ), so we'll see if anything changes once we are. Thanks for the feedback!
Shiva

Postby downwithapathy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:57 am

*bump*

I inherited an ooooold (2nd gen/3g) iphone with a broken screen, fixed that puppy up (I feel like a good hippie again), and I am PSYCHED about all the apps (and craving a speedier phone).
downwithapathy

Postby downwithapathy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:41 am

AND I just bought a 32 GB (OMG) 3GS from a coworker/passed the 3G on to my grandma.
downwithapathy

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 pm

how'd you fix the screen?
Miso Vegan

Postby vegankitty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:24 am

You can buy kits online and there are tutorials online. Boykitty replaced my screen.
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby downwithapathy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:15 pm

What vegankitty said! I actually DID reply to Miso Vegan (and then some) a while back, but some technical glitch caused me to lose my post and I was too irritated with the loss to re-type it at the time. :laugh: A replacement iPhone screen + repair kit = like 7 bucks on ebay!

I have to say the 3Gs is waaaay faster than the 3G. The cooler kids walkin' around with 4ses must be in ecstasy! I had a Nokia smartphone before, and it was great at what it did. However, this iPhone does about a billion times more (it's the app selection)! Speaking of which...

This isn't all vegan-related, but I want to share a few of the apps I actually use a lot. In no particular order:

1. Kindle app: I have a Kindle Fire & I like that the app and the Fire both sync and know which page I last read on the other device. I read SO much more than I did before the Kindle/iPhone combination. I don't think you can purchase books directly from the app, though, so it may be less exciting for those who don't own a Kindle.

2. MapMyDogWalk: I wish I'd had this app when I lived in an apartment with a hyperactive puppy! It maps my dog walk routes and tells me all kinds of cool stuff like speed and distance walked, calories burned, etc. I find it motivates me to take longer walks and to take on new and interesting routes. Routes can be uploaded to Facebook or Twitter, just in case you want to let friends and dangerous weirdos of the world know where you walk you dog. It also works for dog-free walks.

3. MyFitnessPal: I've never been motivated by the prospect of physical fitness, but this app makes counting calories ridiculously easy. The food database is HUGE and I'm yet to consume anything not listed. (Now to find an app like this for dogs...)

4. GasBuddy: It helps me find the cheapest local gas for my car.

5.Fooducate: Grades and reviews pre-packaged food products and suggests healthier alternatives

6. BoxFinder and Clue Tracker: because I enjoy the hobby of Letterboxing

7. Ancestry.com: Another hobby-specific app. I've been a bit of a genealogy nerd since about 7th grade. That is, until about 5 years ago when I lost my entire database and decided to give up for a while. On a whim, I downloaded this app. OMG, soooo much cooler/easier/more helpful than the website! My interest is renewed. :)
downwithapathy

Postby Shiva » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Shiva

Previous

Return to Nerd/Geek/Tech Talk