Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

VitaMix

We love to talk about food!

VitaMix

Postby Dugan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm posting this in hopes of advice, knowing there are other fans here...

I bought a Vitamix from Vitamix. Shortly thereafter, the jug came apart. They replaced the whole thing for free. This morning, I noticed the jug of the new one leaking, quickly shut the blender off, and found that this jug was about to come apart. The base just about fell out when I picked it up.

So, I'm curious about you other Vitamix users... Do your jugs come apart on their own? Do you ever use the special tool to take them apart? I use it as per the manual, always go from slow to fast to high, and then the reverse to shut off. It never goes in the dishwasher. I do the 5 cups of water with 2 drops of soap method to clean, then hand wash the outside and let the whole thing air dry. I've never taken it apart. Am I missing a key maintenance step somewhere?

I plan to call Vitamix... Again... Tomorrow morning for advice. I am clueless about how i could be using it any different than anyone else, and yet this is the second jug within maybe 6 or 8 months to come apart.
Dugan

Re: VitaMix

Postby gladcow » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 am

our jug just recently started leaking, after over 5 years of use. I've never taken it apart. The husb tried to tighten it recently, to prevent the leaking, but it didn't really budge. I'm guessing our issue is just age and overuse.

Best of luck to you, please report back. We're thinking of buying a new jug, but I'll let you be our tester :p
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Dugan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:36 pm

They'll be sending a "new style" retainer nut. I already have the special tool that was sent when the first jug came apart. The rep said I could call when it comes and they can walk me through the process of taking the nut off and putting the new one on. I said they didn't have to tell me how to take the nut off since the blender has done that. Twice.

She assured me that it would never happen again, but that's what they said the first time.

I do love the vitamix, I really do. I love that it can handle larger loads, thick pastes, and even cook sauces. But right now I'm feeling pretty dumb for dropping this kind of money on a blender whose jug has fallen apart not once, but twice.
Dugan

Postby panthera » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 pm

I can't even get it to mix properly, so definitely no help here. hope it works with the next one!
panthera

Postby Dugan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 pm

What do you mean, not mix properly? What doesn't work?

The new retaining nut arrived, along with a free spatula set. Looks mostly like the old nut, but the numbers on it are different. We'll see how it goes.
Dugan

Postby gladcow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 pm

I love those spatulas! The husb got us a deal when we bought ours and we got, like, 4 spatualas (and a bunch of cutting boards and allllll the recipes)
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby panthera » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 am

I had a hard time getting it to mix anything but the very bottom; I had to keep scooping down the sides with a rubber scraper. If I tried to increase the speed, it just stopped turning. I have a hard time with blender/processors in general. I have a big processor, and it seems that I can't use it unless I have a lot of food to go in it, otherwise everything just flies around or stays beneath the blade. Anyway, yes the Vitamix stumped me (it wasn't mine).
panthera

Postby Dugan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I sometimes get that with a thicker mixture like hummus. It's because an air bubble develops around the blades. It can happen with any blender, and used to with my old Oster beehive. Stop the blender. Either stick a spatula deep into the middle or drop it from a low height (an inch, maybe?) onto your kitchen counter. You can see a gas bubble come out of the top. We call them blender farts :silly:

It can also happen if you have too much of particular mixtures, and again this is true of any blender. I lurve the Ultimate Uncheeze Parmezano Sprinkles. The blender can handle about 1 cup at a time, otherwise it's as you describe.

Blenders are meant to handle mostly liquidy mixtures, so sometimes you have to play around to figure out how the blender you use likes to work.
Dugan

Postby Miso Vegan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:45 am

[quote="Dugan";p=1247]I sometimes get that with a thicker mixture like hummus. It's because an air bubble develops around the blades. It can happen with any blender, and used to with my old Oster beehive.

You mean it happens with the Vitamix, too? That's the only complaint I have about my Oster (with which I only make smoothies and salad dressing) and I somehow decided the Vitamix wouldn't do that and that almost made me want one.

My Vitamix interest has been nullified.
Miso Vegan

Postby Dugan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Ah, but it doesn't do it nearly as much. I don't think it's ever happened with a smoothie. For smoothies, it gets things finer and smoother than the Oster, especially kale and nuts. It grinds to make Parmezano Sprinkles much better. And the whole making soup/sauce from start to finish is a huge win.

A question for the experts... I've made salsa using the method in the recipe book twice now and both times have had a few tomato chunks that needed more cutting. Any advice? I gotta make some Sunday.
Dugan

Next

Return to Food and Nutrition