Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Crockpot recommendations?

We love to talk about food!

Crockpot recommendations?

Postby Dugan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:53 pm

My 20+ year old crockpot that I got as a wedding present (!) (now divorced) finally needs replacing. The plastic base under the metal pot that holds the crockery insert split all the way across the bottom. Or at least, I'm assuming that makes it dangerous to use.

I went to ConsumerReports, which has a vast preference for the spendier programmable slow cookers.
1. they're more expensive
2. amazon reviews for programmables tend to have more complaints about breakage - as in, the programming starts to fail and the pot shuts off unpredictably
3. I lived 20 years with an off-low-high pot and never felt the need for a programmable

Is programmable really that great a feature?

Any suggestions for the 6-8 quart range? I'm tempted by one of the simple Hamilton Beach products, probably because that's what lasted 20+ years.

It's a shame I can't just replace the part that heats it - the crock and lid are in great condition. It seems dumb to get rid of them.
Dugan

Re: Crockpot recommendations?

Postby stegan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:47 pm

We got this one for christmas, and like it. It's programmable, yes, but not in a fancy way and the controls are pretty simple and straightforward. For us, the key feature is that it automatically switches to "warm" after the time is up- since we're often both out of the house all day, this takes some of the worry out of it.

I will say that we don't use the "little dipper" that comes with it. At all.
stegan

Twitter handle: stegan

Postby vegankitty » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:37 pm

I keep reading the title as "crackpot recommendations".

Carry on!
vegankitty

Twitter handle: vegankitty

Postby Shiva » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 pm

:laugh: We have those, too. :uhoh:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 pm

So, finally did some looking around. I'm a little weirded out that of the dozen or so models I saw, only one had a glass lid. I don't like the idea of a plastic lid, so that's the one I got. It's the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1. It's got 3 inserts in 2, 4, and 6 quart size. Only the 2 quart insert is completely covered by the base, like usual. The 6 quart crock is about half exposed - see pic in the review I linked to - and I'm concerned this will interfere with cooking. But less concerned than I am with a plastic lid.

It's inaugural use will be to overnight cook dried beans tonight.
Dugan

Postby quagga » Wed May 18, 2011 1:01 am

[quote="Dugan";p=2634]It's inaugural use will be to overnight cook dried beans tonight.

I overcooked beans on Sunday! Twins!
quagga

Return to Food and Nutrition