Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

Banksy's "Exit Through the Gift Shop" and animal cruelty

Banksy's "Exit Through the Gift Shop" and animal cruelty

Postby Shiva » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am

Banksy’s animal cruelty

So maddening. I enjoyed the movie. It was like a sophisticated and thoughtful prank, made up of hundreds of smaller pranks. Fun! The elephant in the exhibit made me uncomfortable while watching it, but I am kicking myself in retrospect for being taken in by the "children's face paint" lie. I have often found Banksy's use of animal imagery to be interesting and powerful, but the use of actual animals is obviously hugely problematic.

At first I thought that the painted elephant represented animal cruelty as the "elephant in the living room" that everyone sees but no one talks about. I sort of want to watch it again to see if it was actually presented that way. :uneasy:
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Re: Banksy's "Exit Through the Gift Shop" and animal cruelty

Postby Shiva » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 am

Or...as I put it less diplomatically (and more emotionally) on Facebook right after reading the article:

Fuck you, Banksy. There is nothing politically relevant or artistically meaningful about this. You and your gratuitous cruelty are not a credit to your species.

And lying about it? Did you think that it somehow wouldn't matter, as long as no one knew? SHE knew. SHE knew that she was not allowed to lay down for days because of your precious, toxic paint job. SHE know that while she stood in that room full of strangers no one cared about her as a being, only as an object.

And now everyone knows what an asshole you are.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby JasperKat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm

I saw your link on FB and reposted it. I haven't seen the movie, but Mr K did and liked it although the elephant disturbed him as well.

That blog also has pics of his previous "exhibit" where he painted live farm animals.

Super bogus, Bansky. He's an interesting artist but these tactics suck and I won't be seeking out his work any longer.

-JK
JasperKat

Postby Miso Vegan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 pm

I had never heard of him until this controversy.
Miso Vegan

Return to Film/Movies