Vegan Ethos

...a real forum.

What have you seen lately

Re: What have you seen lately

Postby Dugan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Bad, just bad. So bad that we kept watching in disbelief of the badness. The book was kinda fun, like candy.

Seeking a Friend at the End of the World. Decent enough rom-com with the obligatory happy/sad ending.

Cloud Atlas. Very good, must now read the book.

Moon. Surprisingly good. The beginning made me think it would be tritely derivative but they took it somewhere new and interesting.
Dugan

Postby Shiva » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:25 am

I loved Cloud Atlas the movie, but I was never able to finish the book.

We so rarely go out to the movies (like, not even once a year) but there's a new movie theatre right across the street from us, and the new Wolverine movie opened today, so... it could happen.
~Shiva , Chief Troublemaker
If this post was edited, it was probably for spelling.
Shiva

Twitter handle: ShivaWolfe

Postby Dugan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:26 am

We don't often go to the theater either. It's expensive and the volume is so loud that it hurts my ears.

RnR caught season 3 of True Blood with me and quite liked it. We're going back so he can catch the first 2. He hasn't read the books so it's kind of a shame that he knows some of the future while watching season 1. We also have season 2 of Downton Abbey on loan from the library.
Dugan

Postby Dugan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 am

Super 8. I heard about it on NPR back when it was new. It sounded very good and I've been eager to see it. It was ok. I'm a bit disappointed in part because I'd hoped it would be better. So much seemed, well, obvious.

I wonder what I'll find at the library tomorrow...
Dugan

Postby Emiloid » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:10 pm

I saw Pacific Rim in 3D... it was a fun summertime movie. A bit of a splurge, but a fun night out. :)

We also saw The Bad Seed on DVD. Ohmygoodness. That is one creeeepy movie! Anyone else seen it?
Living la vida local.
Emiloid

Postby Dugan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 am

Melancholia. Much weirder than I expected from the description on the box. I liked it though it was not as light as I'd thought it would be.
Dugan

Postby matryoshka » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:58 pm

My boyfriend and his cousins dragged me to see the new Wolverine movie.. I'm usually not crazy about the X-men movies but this one actually wasn't too bad. I at least really enjoyed the amount of female characters and how they were portrayed (i.e. they were badasses) . One of them has to be saved by Wolverine of course, but only for a reason that makes her character even more powerful.

Last night we watched Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, which was really silly in the best way. I especially like that the main character, Flint, calls out Sam, the meteorologist, on acting like she isn't smart. He tells her she is beautiful when she's nerdy and anyone who doesn't think so can f*ck off basically, which is awesome.

We also watched Book of Eli which I thought was pretty cool in some aspects but wasn't as entertaining as I'd hoped..

I was SUPER excited to see Much Ado About Nothing, though, and now y'all are making me jealous! I missed it while it was playing up here in Bellingham, but hopefully I can catch it down in Olympia soon.
the vegan formerly known as bekah-chan
matryoshka

Postby Dugan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:03 am

I watched The Time Travellers Wife tonight. It was good but sad. I'm back to movies since I'm having trouble concentrating again.
Dugan

Postby gladcow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 am

the husb and I started "A Star is Born (1937)" but had to leave it unfinished. It's great! I sought it out because I am interested in Dorothy Parker, who wrote the screen play.
everyone's right and no one is sorry, that's the start and the end of the story
gladcow

Postby Dugan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:04 am

I adore Dorothy Parker's poetry! Have you seen Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle?

I also ended up watching Peace Love and Misunderstanding in the wee hours. The story was ok but the music was fun. It brought back memories of my hippy dippy youth.
Dugan

PreviousNext

Return to Film/Movies